FT 12,976/Viking

Posted by smiffy on January 16th, 2009

smiffy.

A rapid-fire, skeletal posting for now as I’m won’t have any more free time for the next several hours. At least this leaves the stage clear for others to opine until I can return to flesh things out..

1 RES(TRAIN)T
6 DEP(O)T
9 BO(U)NDED – what a surface!
10 B(ROOD)ED
11 DAC,H,A – (cad)rev
12 PE(RE,NNI)AL – (inn)rev
14 PUN[-y]
15 PENALTY AREA
17 N(ONE)THELESS – (St Helens)*
19 RYE – centre of ‘Dryer” (=roller towel)
20 TIT(FORT)A,T – (At it)rev
22 ENSUE – ensure -r
24 ILLNESS – silliness -s and i.  I originally put in{s}anity here, without the benefit of any checking letters
26 WE’D,DING
27 EXTRA – hidden
28 DOLLY BIRD – anag

1RA(B)ID
2 SO(U,PC)ON
3 RE(DC)AR,PET
4 IN,D,E,PEN,DENT
5 TUB – tuba -a
6 D(ROW)N
7 PODGIER – (porridge)* – r
8 TI(DA)L WAVE – (we vital)*
13 ROL(L)ER TOWEL – (Orwell wrote)* – w
14 PINS,TRIPE – (nips)rev
16 YESTERDA,Y – (star eyed)*. Factoid alert: Cumulatively, the most played song in the history of radio globally (reputedly).
18 NO(TE)LET – Haven’t checked this thoroughly. Is it missing an overall reversal indicator?
19 ROSSINI – (imprisons)* -MP
21OPERA – hidden
23E(GG)ED – (Dee)rev
25 SAD – said – i

7 Responses to “FT 12,976/Viking”

18dn: LET ON reversed [about] + ET, that familiar alien.

22ac: I read it as ENSU[R]E, with ‘guarantee’ as a verb.

3. Agentzero says:

Help! How does “opening in recession” lead to ROOD? And if it just signifies R, whence the OOD?

4. Geoff Moss says:

Agentzero

DOOR (opening) reversed (in recession)

5. Agentzero says:

Ahhh…thanks, Geoff.

That was one of those instances in which your brain locks onto a particular interpretation (opening in recession = first letter in “recession” = R) and won’t let go.

6. nmsindy says:

I’d say that was deliberately misleading in what was an excellent puzzle, fairly hard by FT standards. Similarly ‘1 down’ in 26 down led me astray for ages. Favourite clue: PENALTY AREA with the double use of ‘trip’.

Yes, I forgot to say what a good puzzle it was. I had SOUPCON for a few minutes before I could parse it: ‘don’ was an unusual insertion indicator and made a nice surface. The clue for 3dn could have been much more mundane, too.