Independent 6945 by Monk

Posted by NealH on January 19th, 2009

NealH.

*=anag, []=dropped, <=reversed, hom=homophone

I found this extremely tough and struggled to get going. Repeatedly misreading 20 down as “hackneyed phrase” didn’t help. However, all the answers made sense to me.

1 Refinery: Re + finery.
5 Eggcup: Cryptic def.
9 Verandah: ER in V and A + h.
10 Sloane: Loan in SE. Clever, if questionable &Lit (do sloane rangers borrow money – aren’t they all rich ?)
12 Roulette Wheel: CD referring to the colours of a roulette wheel. This was my least favourite clue, since I don’t gamble and therefore haven’t the foggiest what colours on a roulette wheel are.
15 Agent: [M]agent[a]. Definition is “cause” in the sense of “agent of change”, I suppose.
16 Balthasar: ALT + has in bar.
17 Outraging: Outing around rag.
19 Lit up: Lip around tu[be].
21 Thought Police: CD. I guessed immediately that Blair was referring to George Orwell (aka Eric Arthur Blair) but, not having read 1984 for about 20 years, I couldn’t remember what his secret police were called. A bit of research on Wikipedia helped me out.
23 Manual: Man + odd letters of unable.
24 Honolulu: honou[r] around lul[l].
26 Shaver: Sh + aver.
27 Self-help: shelf* + “elp” hidden in panel pins.
1,2 Reversal of Fortune: Tune and for placed in the opposite order.
3 Nun: last letters of turn you on + another humourous but questionable &lit.
4 Rialto bridge: (irritable dog)*. The Rialto market is next to the bridge, so I suppose “merchant near here” just about works as a definition.
6 Golden hello: Go around olden hell.
7 Chablis: Cha[p] + blis[s].
8 Phew: H in pew.
11 Twilight Zone: (one with glitz)*.
13 Extrapolate: Exe around trap 0 + l + even letters of cast.
14 Triple Jump: Tripe around l + jump. Def = “something from field” i.e. a field event.
18 Titania: Titan (a moon of Saturn) + I + a. Titania is a moon of Uranus.
20 Tribute: Trite around bu[s].
22 Xmas: X + ma[n] + s.
25 Off: [b]off[in].

9 Responses to “Independent 6945 by Monk”

1. SimonHarris says:

I’m relieved I’m not the only one to have found this tough! It came together as quite an enjoyable puzzle in the end, though one or two of the definitions seem tenuous (“something from field” and “merchant near here” spring to mind) and there were a couple I didn’t follow until coming here. But it all adds up, as you say.

4dn; I think this is a clever &lit: in ‘The Merchant of Venice’, Shylock is several times referred to as a dog and he certainly worried Antonio, the merchant, near the Rialto.

3. nmsindy says:

Yes, this was a very tough puzzle, but very satisfying to finish with all the wordplay understood.

4. TwoPies says:

21 I guessed wasn’t Tony and when I got Thought Police I thought it must be Commissioner Ian. Thanks for putting me right.

Hugh Stephenson’s monthly article on the Guardian website is about coincidences and there are a couple with today’s Rufus.

5. Richard says:

I almost gave up on this one and completed it only after a great deal of effort and quite a bit of recourse to reference books. Much harder than usual for the Indy, in my view.

6. Allan_C says:

Yes, quite a tough one, with one or two false trails – in 18 dn I thought ‘I and another’ might refer to Monk and one of the other Indy setters, which threw me for a bit. I got ‘Honolulu’ and ‘off’ as they couldn’t be anything else but didn’t see why till coming here. But I agree with Eileen about the Merchant of Venice reference.

7. ambulans says:

It had been some time since I visited website with such high quality information. Thansk so much for the useful info

8. cambalkon says:

9. haber,haberleri,ba?bakan says:

Turkiye Haberleri ve Dunyadan Haber, Basbakan Haberleri en tarafsiz bicimde haberi okumanin en iyi adresinde