Independent 6947/Dac

Posted by John on January 21st, 2009

John.

An unusually tricky Dac today. I don’t remember ever, in one of his crosswords, making so many marks by clues reminding me to look things up afterwards. This does not itself reflect on the crossword, but In some cases things haven’t become clear even after trawling three dictionaries. Help needed in places.

1 ROCK’S ALMON{d} — Marc Almond
6 S(L)IP
10 CHAR M{irror}
11 FLAG WAVER
12 CONDO LORE — a condominium is I suppose a complex
13 LAIR D — Chambers says that ‘lair’ in this sense is obsolete Australian slang, but the COD just calls it informal
14 LA DI(E)STRESSES
17 LIFE ASSURANCE — (as final rescue)*
21 GORGE — 2 defs
22 OBSERVANT I think but am not at all sure why — ob se(r van)t, where r = rare. ???
23 CAVALCADE — cava (laced)*
24 reMOTE Land
25 LARK — 2 defs
26 SAND IN IS TA

1 ROCOCO — not sure about this: if r was an abbreviation for ‘registered’ it would I think work — r(o)co co, where o is a circular (?), but so far as I can see r isn’t such an abbreviation
2 CHANNEL — 2 defs
3 SAME OLD SAME OLD — (males do)*, twice — not a phrase that seems to be in the dictionaries yet
4 L(E FT)OVERS
5 O SAGE
7 LOVE-INS — I in (novels)*
8 PARAD(IS)E
9 TWELVE ANGRY MEN — if a team of eleven men plus reserve is flipping, I suppose you could say that you have twelve angry men: it could be this, but I’m not sure
15 TURK’S HEAD — (Kurd hates)*
16 A LO(GI)CAL
18 F(OR)EVER
19 ERASTUS — (a st) in (sure)rev. — had never heard of him, trying to get the answer to be Erasmus, who is better-known, but of course not being able to justify ‘sm’ for ‘saint’
20 hoSTEL LAtely
22 O B AM A — a popular word for clueing at the moment

8 Responses to “Independent 6947/Dac”

1. Geoff Moss says:

John
    Your analysis of 22a and 1d is correct, r=rare and r=registered are both confirmed in Collins.

2. nmsindy says:

You’re right, I think about TWELVE ANGRY MEN – it’s a film (picture)

3. C.G. Rishikesh says:

Certain brand names are followed by R in a circle where R is Registered, I think. So r = registered must be acceptable.

4. Mick h says:

That’ll be R as in Registered Trade Mark ®. That one is for illustration – (I’m not attempting to trademark this comment).

5. C.G. Rishikesh says:

Trademarks are followed by TM in a circle, I thought.

6. Colin Blackburn says:

It’s TM superscript without a circle. That symbol can be used in common law. The R in a circle is for a trademark registered formally with a government office (at least in the US).

7. John says:

Geoff please can you tell me where in Collins we are told that r = rare and r = registered. It says that R = ‘Registered Trademark’, which isn’t the same thing as ‘registered’, and I can find nothing about ‘rare’.

Yes Niall I was aware of the magnificent Twelve Angry Men and should have perhaps put in a link to it. A film closer to my heart than some that are more recent.

8. Geoff Moss says:

Hi John

I use the on-line version of Collins 5th Ed. ( http://dictionary.reverso.net/ ) which gives r=registered (trademark) and r=rare. The latter was discussed on this site a couple of months ago and the consensus was that the abbreviation is associated with food orders and stamps.