Independent 6,948/Nestor

Posted by Ali on January 22nd, 2009

Ali.

This seemed to be one of those days where I filled in a lot of answers without fully understanding them. Some will hopefully become clear as I blog, but there’ll no doubt be a few question marks. That aside, I enjoyed this one.

8 TROLLEY DOLLIES – TROLL,(I SEE LLOYD)* – Got this one straight away from the definition and anagram part, though wasn’t aware that a TROLL is someone who tries to stir things up on t’Internet. Nice credit-crunch surface reading too!
9 PICASSO – PIC,AS,SO
10 SEEMING – SEE,MING
12 AYR – Hidden in pAYRoll
13 TRAGIC IRONY – CIGAR<,IR in TONY
15 GNOCCHI – A course in Perugia, yes, but stuck on the rest! Any ideas?
17 PERUGIA – 1 in (PRAGUE)*
19 TRIPLE CROWN – L in TRIPE + CROW,N
22 LAD – L,A.D
23 RIPENED – (DNIEPER)*
25 PORTICO – PORT,ICO[-n]
26 CONSTITUTIONAL – Double def.
1 STEPDAUGHTER – UGH in (SPATTERED)*
2 CONCERTO – ON,CERT in CO.
3 CLOSET – Not quite sure on this one – ‘Fail to displace inner aspects in concealement like this?’
4 PYROMANIAC – Nor this one – ‘Inflammatory person from unknown EU republic stopping avoiding offence’
5 BOSS – Double def.
6 ULTERIOR – (OR RULE IT)*
7 DE NIRO – OR[-da]INED< – Great clue
11 GUYS AND DOLLS – Again, wrote this in immediately, but aside from the ‘effigies’ bit, I can’t piece it together
14 IMPROMPTUS – I + PROMPT in MUS[-ic]
16 COLONIST – (LION)* in COST
18 GALLIANO – NAIL in O,LAG, all <
20 IMPROV – PRO in (VIM)*
21 NARNIA – A (last letter of Kurosawa),IN,RAN, all <
24 DRIP – I’m guessing this is right. Is it a double definition?

10 Responses to “Independent 6,948/Nestor”

1. nmsindy says:

CLOSET is lose replacing inside letters. DRIP – you’re right, a ‘cream puff’ is an ineffective person G CON CHI (equiv in Greek to X). Tough, puzzle, very enjoyable and inventive.

2. nmsindy says:

PS CON reversed “returned”

4dn: Y[unknown] ROMANIA inside PC [politically correct, 'avoiding offence']

Sorry to argue, Nmsindy: chi does look like X but it’s actually ‘ch’, hence the abbreviation ‘Xmas’.

Sorry, missed this one: 11dn: Miss Adelaide and Nathan Detroit are characters in ‘Guys and dolls’.

6. nmsindy says:

Not sure I understand the point at 4, Eileen. Quick look in dicts says chi = X and I’ve seen it used quite a bit in the past in puzzles, from memory.

Sorry, Nmsindy: I’m just being my pedantic self. As I said, chi does look like X but is not its equivalent. [Chambers: chi: the twenty-second letter of the Greek alphabet, representing an aspirated k sound'] It occurs in words like ‘orchestra’, which is a Greek word. No problem about it being used for X in puzzles.

8. Simon Harris says:

I had much the same reaction to this one. Got there in the end without fully understanding them all, but enjoyed it anyway.

9. Richard Heald says:

I think the wordplay in 2 Dn should be ONCE + RT in CO.

Great puzzle, with the inventive wordplay we’ve come to expect from Nestor.

10. Jon88 says:

Adelaide/Detroit show effigies burnt/stuck with pins, perhaps GUYS AND DOLLS

GUYS, effigies of Guy Fawkes, might be burnt; DOLLS, as in voodoo dolls, would be stuck with pins.