Independent 6951 by Punk

Posted by NealH on January 26th, 2009

NealH.

*=anag, []=dropped, <=reversed, hom=homophone

An enjoyable puzzle that didn’t require vast amounts of general knowledge. There were some excellent surface definitions that appeared utterly bewildering at first glance (particularly 21 down).
9 Epochal: Cope< + Hal.
10 Othello: Hello (magazine) after OT (Old Testament).
11 Yeast: [Baker]y + east.
12 Beelzebub: Bee + zebu in lb.
13 Ego: Go after [avenu]e.
14 Hummingbird: Humming + bird (in the prison sense).
17 Lateral Thinking: Kin in later Althing. The Althing is the Icelandic parliament (which, coincidentally, is mentioned several times in an article about Iceland).
20 Bearskin rug: (sure barking)*.
22 Yam: May<, although May as a synonym for spring seems a bit dubious.
23 Moonlight: Moo (low in its bovine sense) + first letter of luminescence in night.
26 Trust: Double definition.
27 On the go: ghent* in OO.
28 Monsoon: Monday soon.
1 Very well: double def.
2 Cosa Nostra: (actor’s son)* over a.
3 Thatcher: last letter of government + hatcher.
4 Club: double def.
5 Come hither: me in (the choir)*.
6 Phizog: Phi + Zog.
7 Flab: Fab around l.
8 Forbid: For bid.
15 Melting pot: E lt in Ming + pot.
16 I kid you not: I kid + youn[g] + o + t.
18 Negating: eating* + ng.
19 Gemstone: MS in get one.
20 Bamboo: Bamb[in]o + o.
21 Solver: Sole around v + r = u (you in text messaging).
24 Otto: This was the only one I thought was a little obscure. It seems to be the palindromic name of a cyclist. The only moderately famous one I can find is Dag Otto, although there might be someone else.
25 Tome: Self-addressed = to me.

6 Responses to “Independent 6951 by Punk”

1. Richard says:

This was very enjoyable. 3dn, in particular, raised a chuckle. As far as 24 down is conerned, I suspect the two letters “o” suggest bicycle wheels.

2. les nokes says:

24 dwn. Nikolaus Otto. Schematic cycle of four stroke engine bears his name.

3. TwoPies says:

Thanks NealH for the blog and thanks Les for the explanation of Otto. I thought this typical of Punk’s humour and I enjoyed it very much too.
    I did stumble over 6d though. As a former student of the Beano and Dandy I recall seeing Fizzog used and I’ve never known any better. However after getting Othello it all fell into place.

4. Wil Ransome says:

Good crossword, although even now I’m not totally convinced about Otto, who seems too obscure. The only very slight grumble I had, and I may be wrong in any case, is with 26ac: surely a trust is not the same thing as a cartel?

5. eimi says:

The definition of cartel in Collins says “also called trust”.

6. Allan_C says:

… and American law to restrict cartels is called ‘anti-trust legislation’.