Independent 6,958/Morph

Posted by Ali on February 3rd, 2009

Ali.

Always good to get the chance to blog a Morph puzzle. You can be fairly sure there’ll be a good selection of cheeky, inventive clues and a decent challenge along the way. And so it was with this puzzle. Very enjoyable stuff, Mr Hodgkin!

1 DEMISEDEMI‘S,E
4 ADENOIDS – A,(NOSE DID)*
9 ENDEAR – END,EAR – A very neat, succinct clue, with ‘lobe may’ the wordplay and ‘be charming’ the definition
10 AEROBICS – AERO,BICS – Ho ho! Simple, but very clever
12 DEEP-FRIED – (PIE FREE)* in DD (dates)
13 HEAVY – HEAV[-y],E
14 UNMENTIONABLES – CD. ‘Mum’ as in quiet and ‘bloomers’ as in underwear
17 CENTRAL HEATING – C (Carbon) + ENTHRAL with H (Hydrogen) slipping + EATING
21 EXPAT – A reformed cowpat!
22 WINNEBAGO – (NOW BEING A)*
24 GAROTTE – ROT,T[-roops] in (RAGE)*
25 COWPAT – COW,PAT – ‘One expelled from Jersey’ is a genius definition!
26 SCREECHY – SCREE,CH,Y
27 HECTIC – Not sure on this one. ‘Nervous disorder’ gives TIC, but not sure how we get the HEC
1 DREADFUL – Very nice clue
2 MIDTERM – ER being the middle letters of tERm
3 STAFF – DD
5 DRESDEN CHINA – Had to cheat on this one and I’m still unsure. Is this a cryptic definition?
6 NEOPHOBIA – (I ABHo[-r] OPEN)*
7 IMITATE – IT in I,MATE – IT here referring to sex, which then links to……
8 SUSSEX – SEX under SUS
11 DIGITAL WATCH – CD
15 NOT AT HOME – (TO NAME HOT)*
16 AGNOSTIC – IT’S ON < in AG,C
18 EMPEROR – EMP,ER,OR
19 IN A SPOT – IN,AS,POT
20 WEDDGE – W,EDGE,S
23 ERODE – ‘E RODE!

5 Responses to “Independent 6,958/Morph”

1. nmsindy says:

HECTIC is HECK less K, I think. Very tough, inventive puzzle.

2. mhl says:

In 5 down, I think it’s an “Incorrect address” in that Dresden isn’t in China :)

Brilliant puzzle, I thought – really good fun. I liked WINNEBAGO, ENDEAR and AEROBICS in particular.

3. croque says:

No Graun in my shop this morning, so I picked up the Indie. I now consider myself immensely lucky to have done so, as the puzzle was sublime. No obscure words to have to check in a dictionary, just clue after clue of inventive wordplay and penny-dropping moments. My favourite has to be COWPAT clued as “expelled from Jersey?”!

4. Duggie says:

Monsieur Croque has picked out the plum for me too. I was faffing around trying to think of sweaters/islands etc. so had to ‘reveal’ it and actually laughed out loud. But there were so many other gems of glittering quality. More Morph please!

5. Killer Watts says:

5 down, “incorrect address” refers to Dresden being in Germany, not China, and of course the good crockery.