Posted by Ciaran McNulty on February 6th, 2009
Puck seems to be in a thirsty, miserable mood, with a number of references to drinking / being drunk as well as depression in the clues. Quite a few tricky ones today, I found, that even with all the checking letters took a while to sort out.
(X) = inserted
(x) = removed
* = anagram
dd = double definition
8. MINOTAUR. MINO(TAU)R.
9. AILING. dd. An ai is a type of sloth, so a young one could be an ai-ling.
10 ECONUT. COUNTE(r)*
11. GAS POKER. GASP(OK)ER. A type of firelighter. Gasper is slang for a cigarette.
12. G-MAN. Backwards in vietNAM Going.
13. ENDOWMENTS. (M + SWEDENNOT)*
15. LOTHAIR. L((b)OTH)AIR. Any of a number of Holy Roman Emperors.
16. SIXTEEN. EXISTEN(tialist)*. Here is ‘at sixteen’.
18. AULD REEKIE. LIKEARUDE*. Nickname for Edinburgh.
19. EDEL. EDEL(“weisse”). Irish form of Ethel.
20. CARPETED. CAR + PET + ED. Rover is a car, a setter is a pet, and Ed is a short name.
22. OOLITE. E.LOO backwards around IT.
23. MENHIR. ME + N + H + IR.
24. OSSICLES. CO(d)ISLESS*
1. DISCOMBOBULATED. BADTIMECOULDSOB*.
2. DOWN IN THE DEPTHS. Down is feathers, one plumbs the depths.
3. PANTHERINE. EH backwards in TRAPNINE*.
4. BRIGADE. B(RIG)ADE.
5. MARS. eMbArRaSs. Neighbouring planet to Earth.
6. ALL OVER THE PLACE. ALECHAPLET* around LOVER.
7. UNDER THE WEATHER. UNDER(THE)WEA(THE)R.
14. WHITE HORSE. Breaking waves are called white horses, as was Silver, the Lone Ranger’s horse.
17. SKID ROW. SKI + WORD backwards.
21. TARP. T(rees) A(s) R(ain) P(romise). Short for ‘tarpaulin’.