Posted by Ciaran McNulty on February 7th, 2009
My first Saturday crossword and it was an Araucaria so I was a bit intimidated, but managed ok. It took just over an hour to fill out most of the grid, then the remaining 4-5 slotted in the next day after a break, and I couldn’t see how I hadn’t got them the day before (always the way).
“” = homophone
* = anagram
dd = double definition
9. ADULTERER. “A dull terror” with the stress in the wrong place.
10. TRAIN. dd.
11. ECTOPIC. EC + TOPIC. Literally means ‘out of place’ but the most common usage is as an ‘ectopic pregnancy’, one which takes place in an ovarian tube.
12. GRAMPUS. G + RAM + PUS(s). Common name for the Orca / Killer Whale.
13. DAMN. DAM + N.
14. SCREENPLAY. LEANSPERCY*.
15. SERVICE. Sort of a triple-def I think. A service is an act of worship, there’s a service tree, and a train can be referred to as a ‘service’.
17. TERMINI. ERMIN(e) in IT*.
19. UNAFFECTED. DUET* around NAFF + EC. Second time city is used to clue EC in this grid.
22. ZERO. Z + ERO(s).
23. STATION STOP. S(TATI)ONS + TOP. Tati directed ‘Parade’, a celebration of pantomime.
24. LAID LOW. (Or possibly Lain Low). Slang for killed, and ‘Brer Fox, he lay low’.
26. ORANG. OR + ANG(el).
27. PASSENGER. NESS in GRAPE*.
1. PANEL DISCUSSION. PA(INCLUDES*)SSION.
2. CUSTOMER. C(UST)OMER.
4. TRICYCLE. T. R. + ICY + CLE(ar).
5. BROGUE. dd.
6. STRAINER. S + TRAINER.
7. CARPEL. CARP + EL. Part of the female organ in a plant.
8. A NASTY BIT OF WORK. ANAST(asia) + Y(B TWO IF*)ORK
16. INFRINGE. IN FRINGE. The Fringe of a festival is the edges, esp. where applied to the Edinburgh Festival.
17. TREELESS. T(REEL)ESS. Pampas is more that just the absence of trees, one could argue.
18. IDEOLOGY. GOODLIEY*
20. AVATAR. A + VAT + A + R.
21. CANAPE. CAN + APE.
25. ITEM. “‘IT ‘EM!”.