Independent 6,966/Radian

Posted by Ali on February 12th, 2009

Ali.

It’s been fairly hard to avoid the fact that 2009 is the bicentenary of Charles Darwin’s birth, but the fact that the actual day is Feb 12th must have passed me by as I didn’t cotton on straight away with this puzzle. It was all the more enjoyable once I did though. Certainly the best Radian puzzle I’ve done so far with some great clues.

1 TREK – Odd letters of ThReE,K
3 WEREWOLF – (FLOWER[-d]EW)*
10 EXEGETE – Hidden in codEX, E.G. ETErnities – A new word to me. It’s ‘a person who interprets or expounds’, so says the big red book
11 OVATION – (TOO VAIN)* – ‘Doctor’ is always a good anagrind
12 GRENADE – (DANGER)*,E (one’s behind)
13 UROLITH – I think this in LIT in (HOUR)* – Really not a common word (unless you’ve had one!), and probably needed in order to fit the thematic answers. A urolith is ‘a calculus in the urinary tract’, which conjures up all sorts of painful mathematical images until you look up calculus and realise that it’s also ‘a stone-like concretion which forms in certain vessels or organs of the body, eg the kidney or gall bladder.’
14 ETC – Hidden in sweET Chestnut
5 ENAMOUR – MAN < in (EURO)*
6 ORIGIN OF SPECIES – (SOPORIFIC GENE IS)*
7 FINCHES – (IN CHEF’S)*
8 BEAGLE – B,EAGLE – Darwin’s ship
9 GENE – Ref. the actor
16 GALAPAGOS – A LAP in GAG,OS
18 FITZROY – 1 in (FORTY)*, with a Z thrown in!
19 ILL_WILL – LL in I WILL
21 DAWKINS – [-ha]D,A WK IN S
23 DARWIN – Anagram of the middle letters of faR AND WIde – And, finally, our theme man!

7 Responses to “Independent 6,966/Radian”

1. Andrew says:

Today’s Araucaria in the Guardian has a Darwin theme too – with some of the same answers – but shared with another famous person who was born on the same day.

2. NealH says:

I made my usual mistake, which I do every time, of spelling Tbilisi as Tiblisi. I corrected it after I realized 21 down must be Dawkins. You missed out 29across which I eventually worked out, after going through the letters of the alphabet, was [O]asis.

3. Anon says:

Yinglish ? What’s that -can’t find it in the online dictionary http://www.thefreedictionary.com/

4. Ali says:

Have to admit I’d never heard of it either!

5. NealH says:

I found it at http://www.dictionary.com and in Wikipedia, although it doesn’t say it’s a New York specific, which appears to be part of the definition in the puzzle.

6. nmsindy says:

Yinglish is in Collins (and Chambers). New York, I’d say, was given as an example of a US location.

7. Tyro says:

I enjoyed this very much – is it uncool to say that here? The theme worked into the puzzle very well. I didn’t have a clue who Fitzroy was, but it was easy to work out from the clue and I won’t forget it now. Finches was connected with Darwin too, and Dawkins, in a way. Good stuff!