Posted by Ciaran McNulty on February 16th, 2009
As easy as you’d expect on a Monday except for a few horticultural clues that were completely out of my areas of expertise, which had to wait until I had most of the checking letters and then required a bit of dictionary work to confirm once I’d had a guess from the wordplay.
This is the complete opposite of my normal way of working, which is to intuit a word that fits and then work backwards to find out why.
* = anagram
< = reversed
(X) = insertion
(x) = removal
4. LIANAS. ANI(m)ALS*. Woody forest vines. Easy to guess from the checking letters and the assumption it was plural, but I’ve never heard of ’em.
6. EGGFRUIT. EGG + RUTIF*. Confidently wrote in ‘EGGPLANT’ early on, which didn’t help.
9. ABUSED. AB + USED. This clue rings a bell.
10. APRICOTS. APRI(l) + COTS. Aha, one I’d heard of.
11. MALIFICENCE. MALE + F(I + C)ENCE. Easy if you’ve seen Sleeping Beauty.
15. ALL OVER. A + L. + LOVER.
17. HASHISH. HASH + IS + H. I prefer to call it the Octothorpe.
18. TROUSER LEGS. ROT* + USER + LEGS. Not sure about the definition, or what ‘staff’ is doing there.
22. RESTRUCK. REST + RUCK.
23. TITOKI. TITO + K + I. Another mystery plant, had it narrowed down to TITOKI or TITORI.
24. PARSNIPS. PA + R + SNIPS.
25. RATBAG. RA(BAT*)G. or R(BAT*)AG I suppose.
1. CARE OF. CAR + FOE<. Nice definition.
2. AGAPANTHUS. A + GAP + AN + THUS. Again, worked it out and had to look it up to check it was right.
3. OFFICERS. OFF(I+C)ERS.
4. LEAN MEAT. LEAN + TEAM*. ‘List’ is used as in ‘Lean over’.
5. ARUM LILY. A RUM LILY. Presumably popular with brides?.
7. UFOS. OFUS*. ‘X origin’ as an anagrind doesn’t work for me.
8. TEST. (whi)TE ST(rip).
12. CARBON COPY. CAR + BO(NCO + P)Y. ( or maybe N + COP). Second use of CAR in one grid!
13. FIREBOMB. IFBOMBER*.
14. SHUSHING. HISSHUNG*.
16. VETERANS. ESERVANT*.
18. RHINAL. RHIN(e) + A + L.
20. TRIP. TRIP(let).
21. TSAR. STAR*.