Financial Times 13,004 / Cinephile

Posted by Gaufrid on February 18th, 2009

Gaufrid.

A definite challenge from Cinephile today with only a few answers entered during my first pass through the clues. However, eventually everything fell into place and the result was an enjoyable solve, though I don’t understand the definition in 14d.

This is the first time I have seen an internet suffix used in the wordplay of a clue since they were included in the 2008 Chambers. It is something solvers will need to look out for in addition to the more usual IVR (which for Chad is TCH).

1 TOTTER  dd
4 CASH FLOW  *(FLASH) (flourished) in COW (milk supply)
10 STUDENT  DE (of, in French) in STUNT (attempt at publicity)
11 ILLOGIC  ILL (I shall) GO reversed I C (first century)
13 FLAPDOODLE  FLAP (to panic) DOODLE (play around with pencil)
17 MOIDORE  MOI (me) DO RE (two notes)
20 ARSENAL  SEN (oriental coin) in ARAL (sea)
24 CHEAPSKATE  HE (man) in CAP (top) SKATE (ray)
25 STUN  hidden in ‘flabbergaST UNequivocally’
27 TRAMPLE  RAMP (change of level) in *(LET) (out-let)
29 CARAVEL  CA (California) RAVEL (composer)
30 HILARITY  HI (greeting) R (king) in LAITY (people)
31 ODDS ON  ODD (funny) SON (boy)

1 TEST TUBE  BUTTS (range) reversed in TEE (starting area)
2 TOUR DE FORCE  TOUR (journey) RC (Catholic) in DEFOE (satirical writer)
3,12 EVENTIDE  EVENT (what happened) IDE[a] (incomplete concept)
5 AGITPROP  A GIT (a fool) PROP (support)
6 HOLY ORDERS  ROY reversed in HOLDERS (last year’s winners)
7,16,8 LEG BEFORE WICKET  LEG (walker) BEFORE (in front of) WICKET (gate)
14 DERIVATIVES  ER IV (Queen Elizabeth the fourth) in DATIVES (cases) – how does this equate to the definition ‘villains of the piece’?
15 GREEN PAPER  *(PREPARE GEN)
18,21 BACK-SEAT DRIVER  BACK (support) TD (Chad, internet suffix) in SEA RIVER (with water either side)
19 FRANKLIN  RANK (place in society) in FLIN[g] (endless lettin’ of the hair down)
22 SCOTCH dd
23,9 STOCK-STILL  STOCKS TILL (provides float at checkout)
26,28 BRADAWL  AD (publicity) in BRAWL (row)

10 Responses to “Financial Times 13,004 / Cinephile”

1. Persephone says:

Hello Gaufrid
    I had to go to Chambers for 14d, derivatives being “any financial instrument giving rights or obligations to an underlying asset or liability (stock exchange)”, leading me to the conclusion that it was a clever (if somewhat veiled) reference to those who have created our current national state of financial turmoil.

2. Gaufrid says:

Hi Persephone
    I had a similar thought regarding a reference to the current financial situation but decided that this was too obscure even for Cinephile. However, I have been unable to come up with anything more plausible.

3. Mick H says:

Don’t normally do the FT, but I swiped the office copy at lunchtime after reading the first line of your blog, so thanks. Maddeningly, the one I didn’t get, 20ac, turned out to be my team! A clever clue, but hard with 3/7 checking.
    As for 14dn, I’m sure Cinephile was referring to the role of derivatives trading in creating the mess we’re in.

4. Gaufrid says:

Hi Mick H
    Regarding 14d, you may well be right but I’m still not 100% convinced that there isn’t another interpretation.

5. Paul B says:

Are not derivatives seen as pivotal in the unfolding of the financial crash? In that sense, they could be the ‘villains’ of Araucaria’s piece.

6. Paul B says:

Um, as Mick says.

7. agentzero says:

Gaufrid,

Coming late to the game, but:

You give 4a as “*(FLASH) (flourished) in COW (milk supply).”

Did you mean *(HAS) + FL (flourished) in COW.

(FL = Latin, “flourished”, used to indicate periods when a person, organization, or species was influential)

8. Gaufrid says:

Hi Agentzero

I hadn’t considered your parsing but it works well and probably better than mine. I took the ‘has’ as a joining word and equated ‘flash’ and ‘flourished’ in the sense of ‘ostentatious’.

9. agentzero says:

Gaufrid: I figured Araucaria wouldn’t likely have given us an indirect anagram. I thought those were frowned upon?

Also, sorry, I left out part of my earlier comment. FL can be an abbreviation for “floruit,” which is Latin for flourished and is used in the sense mentioned in my earlier comment.

10. Gaufrid says:

Hi again Agentzero

Araucaria is somewhat liberal with his clueing so anything is possible. However, as indicated before, I think your parsing is correct.