Independent 6,978/Punk

Posted by Ali on February 26th, 2009

Ali.

More enviably entertaining, inventive stuff from Mr Cryptica. There’s plenty to admire here as always, with 21A and 20D being the standouts for me.

1 FLIP-FLOP – A pair of double defs
6 CALLAS – CALL,AS
8 ANTI – ANT,1
10 GREENHOUSE – E,(HEN)* in GROUSE
11 BUTTER – B,UTTER
12 DRUBBING – D,RUBBBING
13 ARCHIMEDES SCREW – (CARESSED HIM),CREW – A very nice surface reading
15 SUTTON COLDFIELD – U in NOTTS <,COLD,FIELD
19 BROWN ALE – BROW,ELAN <
20 PLAICE – “Place”
21 OVERBURDEN – VERB in OUR,DEN – This is a fantastic clue, which took me a while to work out. ‘Something to do during our retreat’ is outstandingly neat wordplay
22 GUNK – Hidden in unfeelinG UNKind
23 SLEDGE – L in SEDGE
24 ENTIRETY – (ETERNITY)*
2 LANGOUR – O in LANGUR – I needed all the checking latters here, having never heard of the langur monkey
3 PAINT THE TOWN RED – Cryptic def.
4 LAGER – AGE in L,R – ‘woman’s secret’ for AGE is very clever and threw me until I had all the checking letters here
5 PLEADED – P,LEADED
6 CONCUSSED – CON,CUSSED
7 LOOK BACK IN ANGER – LOO,K,BACK,(EARNING)* – The card game definition of LOO was new to me
8 ABSENCE – ABS[-tin]ENCE
14 MINIATURE – “Minute ya” – ref. Shirley Bassey’s song Big Spender. Have to admit I’ve only just worked this out now, but it was worth the wait!
16 UNRAVEL – UN,RAVEL – ‘Barman’ as a definition for composer might be pushing it for some, but it makes for a more interesting clue
17 OVERDUE – O,VERDU[-n],E
18 LOCKNUT – LOCK,NUT
20 PINOT – P in OT..! – Fantastic clue. This device is sorely underused if you ask me, though Punk/Paul/Mudd/anonymous Times setter seems to be a fan. I presume that the ‘cryptically’ element is added in to make it a bit easier, though I’d be equally happy without it, albeit that it would make the clue harder to solve

7 Responses to “Independent 6,978/Punk”

1. rayfolwell says:

2D is spelt LANGUOR. I made the same mistake a Ali, which made 11A a bit tricky..

2. Mick H says:

Me too. And I second Ali’s praise – I guessed MINIATURE from all the checking letters, scratched my head, then laughed out loud and started singing “Hey, Big Spender…” as the penny dropped.

3. Tyro says:

Loved it too, especially Flip-flop. Simple, but brilliant. In fact it’s been a really good week in the Indy.

4. Richard says:

I agree – the Indie puzzles have been top class this week. (But, in my view, they are consistently excellent, and I always turn to them first in the day.)

5. Peter Biddlecombe says:

An entertaining puzzle. The highlight might just be 4D – a clue to lager not involving an anag. of large, regal, or anything else.

6. Allan_C says:

My brain must have been on half-speed or something. I completed the puzzle apart from 11a (due to spelling 2d wrongly) but missed the subtleties of clues such as 21a, 14d and 20d. In fact my first thought for 21a was ‘overextend’ and I was trying to fit it to the wordplay.

7. nmsindy says:

For a variety of reasons, I was a bit late getting around to this puzzle, but would like to add my praise to that above, And it shows they don’t have to be extra-hard to be good.