Independent 6,982 by Monk

Posted by Simon Harris on March 3rd, 2009

Simon Harris.

I’ve never blogged a Monk before, so didn’t know what to expect. It turned out to be a fairly quick solve with some top-notch surfaces, although sadly I can’t justify all of my answers yet. No doubt you lot will be able to set me straight!

There was a funny sort of “triangle” theme going on, with four of the answers being anagrams of that word, plus a couple of other references of a trilateral nature.

1 ALERTING – TRIANGLE*.
5 SPIDER – REDIPS<. “Web designer” is quite a nice definition here.
10 OCCUR – “Get round company check, almost by chance”?.
11 ROYAL MAIL – MORALLY* “about” AI.
12 TANGERINE – (ANGER “in” TIN) + E[-asy].
13 CHEAT – CHAT “about” E.
14 BREECH – R “hiding in” BEECH.
15 FICTION – F[-r]ICTION.
18 LICKING – dd.
20 PUNISH – I guess one would describe this as a dd. It’s “punnish” really, as in “relating to a pun”.
22 EXTRA – EX + ART<.
24 GUEST BEER – Spoonerism of “best gear”.
25 INTROVERT – IN + T + ROVER + T.
26 BATHE – BATH + E[-stuary].
27 GYRATE – GRATE “around” Y.
28 INTEGRAL – TRIANGLE*.
1 AGOUTI – [-schoolb]AG OUT I[-mmediately].
2 ECCENTRIC – “Loony left of centre, perhaps”. I see CENTRE* in there but don’t follow the rest.
3 THREE MEN IN A BOAT – dd. This may be stretching the “triangle” idea a bit far, but it dropped in pretty quickly so I shan’t complain.
4 NORWICH – NOW RICH with the R and W “exchanged”.
6 POLICE CONSTABLE – (The) POLICE + (John) CONSTABLE.
7 DRAPE – [-on]E PARD[-on]<. Clever – the “no”s are ignored.
7 RELATING – TRIANGLE*.
9 MYSELF – Monk being the setter. M[-a]Y S[-e]E + LIFE which “ie” has left.
16 INSPECTOR – CO[-d]E PRINTS*. Nice clue.
17 ALTERING – TRIANGLE*.
19 GAGMEN – GAG + MEN. My last one to go in, as I haven’t head the term used.
20 PRESTON – PON[-y] “to tour” REST. I assume a “pony” is one of those animals that some folks use to denote an amount of money.
21 ORDEAL – OR + DEAL.
23 TATER – TATE + R, informal “potato”.

12 Responses to “Independent 6,982 by Monk”

1. C.G. Rishikesh says:

10ac: OC<,CUR[b]

2. C.G. Rishikesh says:

2dn: My explanation may be deemed loony; anyway, here it is:

left of centre – outside of centre – ex-centric – eccentric.

3. conradcork says:

20 down. A pony is £25.

4. Mick h says:

Very nice. As well as ‘web designer’, I liked ‘non-regular in pub’ for GUEST BEER.
    Surely 11ac (‘Morally corrupt about excellent national service’) is a comment on the government’s planned part-privatisation of ROYAL MAIL. I do hope so.

5. nmsindy says:

The ‘triangle’ anagrams were symmetrically placed and that made it quite an easy puzzle. Some excellent clues e.g. CHEAT, ROYAL MAIL, TATER.

A little puzzled on ECCENTRIC too. Thought it might be left = ex centric = of centre, but this gives the much less familiar EXCENTRIC and the site says ECCENTRIC which I plumped for.

6. Ciaran McNulty says:

ECCENTRIC is a lot less convoluted than commenters are suggesting.

It’s a d.d., as well as meaning insane it means non-centred, which corresponds to “left of centre, perhaps”.

7. Paul B says:

Absolutely, Ciaran.

Belter of a puzzle.

8. nmsindy says:

Thanks, Ciaran, for that which explains it.

9. Brian Griffin says:

Belter of a puzzle indeed.

10. teedyay says:

Could you explain 19d a little more? I get gagmen = comedians, but why “still sitting on hands”?

Thanks.

11. Simon Harris says:

Five years on, probably not. But if you can provide the clue I’m willing to try.

12. Gaufrid says:

Hi teedyay
    I would suggest: GAG (still {silence – verb}) MEN (hands {as in workforce}) with the ‘sitting on’ being a joiner in a down clue.