Financial Times 13,016 / Cinephile

Posted by Gaufrid on March 4th, 2009

Gaufrid.

An enjoyable, though I thought somewhat easier than usual (the non-thematic clues at least), Cinephile today in which we were told ‘the monarch is the same throughout’. The first thematic entry I got was the anagram at 25/19 which told me that the monarch was ‘Louis XIV’. This (and Wikipedia where necessary, 4d & 6d) helped in solving the remaining thematic clues.

1 MARITIME  homophone of ‘marry time’ (when to get spliced)
5 EMETIC  CITE (quote) ME reversed
10 MICRON  homophone of ‘Mike Ron’ (two little boys)
12 IOWAN  IO (10) WAN (with little colour)
13 REPUTABLE  RE (sapper) UP reversed TABLE (list)
14 BROKEN  BRO (comrade) KEN (Livingstone)
16 SUN KING  SUNK IN (finally accepted by the mind) G (good) – in French ‘ le Roi Soleil’, the name by which Louis XIV was popularly known.
21 TENDON  TEND ON (continue to care)
23 NUMBER ONE  dd
25,9 LOUIS QUATORZE  I SQUAT (I occupy empty house) in L (left) OUR ZE[d] (last letter unfinished)
26 BURGLE  R (right) in BUGLE (instrument)
27 MEAT SAFE  *(SAME FATE)
28 GLADYS  G (girl’s first) LADY’S (woman’s)
29 LAST LEGS  dd

1 MAQUIS  homophone of ‘marquee’
2 ROADWORKS  ROAD (way) WORKS (factory)
3 THORN  THOR (god) N (name)
4 MAZARIN  MAZ[e] (labyrinth cut short) *(RAIN) (rain-storm) – Cardinal Mazarin, Louis XIV’s prime minister.
6 MAINTENON  MAIN (principal) TENON (projector) – Françoise d’Aubigné, marquise de Maintenon, Louis XIV’s second wife.
7 THROB  hidden in ‘elizabeTH ROBinson’
8 CONVERGE  CON (on opposite side of, against) VERGE (side of road)
11 OPUS  *(SOUP)
15 KIMBERLEY  I’M (i am) BERL[in] (not in German capital) in KEY (clue)
17 INOCULATE  IN O (love) LATE (not in time)
18 SCENT BAG  *(CAN GET BS)
20 IDOL  homophone of ‘idle’
22 ASSESS  dd
24,21 MARIA THERESA  ARIA (song) THE RES (little house) in MA (mother) – Maria Theresa of Spain, Louis XIV’s first wife.
25,19 L’ETAT C’EST MOI  *(LO I’M STATE ETC) – in English, ‘I am the state’ so clever anagram fodder!

6 Responses to “Financial Times 13,016 / Cinephile”

Hi Gaufrid – thanks for the blog.

This was lovely – right up my street! It was actually the themed clues which I found easiest. As you say, the 25,9 anagram was a giveaway but, for some reason, my eye was, unusually, drawn to the last clue before I even started and so it was the apostrophes [there's been discussion of them somewhere lately] that set me on the right road. This was an absolutely brilliant clue!

Others I liked particularly were all the themed ones, 28ac and 11 and 15dn. I don’t think there were even any dodgy ones today, unless, perhaps, the theme might be considered ‘obscure’.

2. Gaufrid says:

Hi Eileen
    I don’t think the theme was all that obscure. I didn’t study history beyond the second year in secondary school (we had to chose between history and geography for O-Level) but I was familiar with all of the thematic answers apart from, as indicated in my preamble, 4d and 6d.

4d was easy to obtain from the wordplay and only needed Wikipedia for confirmation. I had MAINT?N?N for 6d but didn’t equate ‘projector’ with ‘tenon’ until after a little research.

I didn’t think the theme was obscure, either, hence the quotation marks. I was simply trying to anticipate others’ possible objections, forgetting that I was on the less controversial thread!

4. smiffy says:

As a product of the GCSE(albeit early vintage) rather than O-Level era – I have to admit that I was not overly familiar with the theme. Our history curriculum was skewed massively towards the 20th Century (all the better for TV-friendliness and primary evidence, don’t you know?).

However, all the sub-thematic answers were readily accessible from the wordplay, so no complaints here.

5. JamesM says:

Having struggled horribly with the Times crossword today, I was pleased to complete this one in about forty minutes. Good puzzle: it restores my faith.

Thanks for the blog, Gaufrid.

6. John in USA says:

The LXIV stuff was easy but I never heard of a “scent bag”. Must be the sheltered life I lead.