Independent 6984 by Nimrod

Posted by nmsindy on March 5th, 2009

nmsindy.

Tough puzzle from Nimrod with 6 15-letter entries. Solving time, 46 mins.

* = anagram < = reversed

ACROSS

8 NON-PROFESSIONAL Well-concealed with the misleading ‘Lay on line’.

Definition is ‘lay’ (On line f sopranos)*

9 A PERT URE Refers to Midge Ure

10 AB LATE

11 PISTOL Not understood apart from the definition “Small arm? Motion now will be restricted”

12 HEAT WAVE (we’ve a hat)* Good surface

13 OF FA Another good surface

15 KEN DO

16 YEA R

17 PILC HARD clip<

18 CI (CAD) A

20 INCU(r) BI

21 PE (A GREE) N

22 PLOUGHMAN’S LUNCH Cryptic definition with excellent misdirection

DOWN

1 DOLPHIN-FRIENDLY (Phi donned frilly)* New to me, and pleased to work it out from the anagram when I’d sufficient crossing letters. Quick look in dicts does not turn it up but Google certainly does.

2 SPIRIT Double definition and my favourite clue.

3 GO OUT /LIKE/ A LIGHT (get off). Got this straight away – the enumeration helped.

4 HE BE From Greek mythology – a word learnt from solving

5 ESCALATOR CLAUSE (so a = one recalculates)*

6 HOL (LOWA) Y prison AWOL<

7 CAPTIVE AUDIENCE Cryptic definition

12 HONED Hidden Definition: Sharp now

14 ARC TUR US rut<

19 COR PUS

21 PL(A)Y

13 Responses to “Independent 6984 by Nimrod”

1. conradcork says:

i down caused me to do a little dance in the street, thus embarrassing part of South Leicester. What a clue!

nmsindy, you see ‘dolphin friendly’ on cans of tuna and the like.

2. Ali says:

Couldn’t quite manage 3 clues of this one, but otherwise very enjoyable, with an impressively high number of 15-letter answers (something of a Nimrod speciality it seems). I spent far too long thinking that 1A must be the name of a song until the penny finally dropped. Loved the anagram at 1D and the Midge Ure clue.

I guessed PISTOL for 11A but have absolutely no idea on the wordplay!

3. C.G. Rishikesh says:

Re PISTOL.

Could it be something like motion = p is to l (where p is something and l is length)?

Or is pl. an abbr. for proposal (motion)?

Thinking cap still on!

4. C.G. Rishikesh says:

All that is nonsense.

If a person has a regular arm, motion is unrestricted.

If small, …

5. Richard Heald says:

11 Ac: I think the wordplay is meant to be PL (= Poet Laureate, currently Andrew Motion) with IS TO (= will be) “restricted”, although I can’t think of a sentence in which ‘is to’ and ‘will be’ are interchangeable, so the syntax doesn’t seem to work. A bit of carelessness there from Nimrod, I think.

6. Simon Harris says:

I suspect IS TO = “now will”, with the “be” merely connecting it all together. I suppose in some dialects “be” means “is”, but I don’t feel confident that’s how it’s meant here.

7. nmsindy says:

Thanks, Richard, for explaining PISTOL. Re 6 above tho I think the ‘now’ might be attached to Motion i.e. he’s the Poet Laureate now. I think Nimrod may have used Motion = PL before, but I’d forgotten it.

8. Uncle Yap says:

I normally do the Indy one day later and come to FifteenSquared to look for missing answers; of which I have two

13 A Dyke-builder of note (4)

Since I have ?F?A, this must be OFFA which is not in Chambers; so why does this blog not have the explanation?

19D My matter works (6)
    I have C?R?U? and your blog said corpus but why and what’s the wordplay?

9. Allan_C says:

Uncle Yap
    13 OFFA = OF + FA (4th note of the scale)
    19 COR (Cor! = my!) + PUS (= matter)

10. Mick H says:

Interesting to see Midge Ure appearing in the Guardian and Indy today. I prefer Nimrod’s indication (‘A Live Aid organiser’) to Brummie’s ‘aging rock star’. Crossword-friendly surnames like Ure and (Brian) Eno guarantee a little bit of cryptic immortality at least.
    Loved ‘dolphin-friendly’, the best among a bunch of well-concealed definitions.

11. nmsindy says:

Uncle Yap (8 above) – I should have provided a more detailed explanation.

OFFA is a proper name so not in some dicts and would also be unfamiliar outside the UK. Cor is also very much a UK word.

12. Allan_C says:

Uncle Yap
    Perhaps I should have added explanations. Offa was an 8th century king of Mercia (roughly, central England) and Offa’s Dyke is an earthwork built to mark the boundary with Wales; unlike Hadrian’s Wall it was probably not meant as a fortification.
    The term ‘corpus’ (Latin for ‘body’) is often used to describe the complete works of an author, poet, etc.

13. nmsindy says:

I’ll have to admit that I’ve tended to take the view that, as this site is Internet-based, there was no need to explain definitions of the actual answers, as Wikipedia, Google searches etc etc, would usually explain a mystery word such as OFFA in this case.