Independent 6,988/Virgilius

Posted by Ali on March 10th, 2009

Ali.

A typically nice themed puzzle from Virgilius, with the 6 outermost across and down answers linking to the 2 centre answers WATER and WATCH. I found most of this quite easy, but there were one or two definitions which threw me and a couple which may need further explanation below.

8 PORT – Double definition
9 WRIST – S (session’s opening) in WRIT
10 STOP – Double definition. I guess the ‘knockout’ definition refers to boxing here
11 DEFENESTRATION – (END ON A STREET IF)* – A nice anagram
12 FRETSAW – FRET,SAW
14 IMPISH – [-w]IMPISH – W appears to be a fairly common abbreviation for Dubya now. I have no problem with this!
16 IOWA – I.O.W (i.e. Isle Of Wight, initially!),A – Not an easy clue to solve if you ask me
18 WATCH – Our first theme word, which can follow PORT, WRIST and STOP and precede DOGS, STRAP and FIRE. I have no idea what PORT WATCH means though. Sounds naval!
19 CREW – Had to use Reveal to check this was rght, but not sure on the wordplay. Clue is ‘Front of propeller removed for plane operators’
21 REJECTS – J in (SECRET)*
24 STRUT ONES STUFF – (SORT TUNES)*,STUFF
28 DOGS – Double definition
29 STRAP – PARTS rev.
30 FIRE – F,IRE

1 GOLD – Another one I needed to check. I get the archery target reference, but not sure how ‘or it could be’ fits in
2 STIFLE – Hidden in columniST IF LEft-winger
3 SWINGS – S,WINGS – ‘Manages to secure’ was a tricksy definition here and had me thinking it must be an insertion in the word RUNS until I had all the checking letters
4 MISS – MISS[-ouri]
5 STARFISH – (HAS FIRST)*
6 ISOTOPIC – IS,O,TOPIC – Lovely clue
7 POLO – Ref. Marco Polo
12 FLOOD – L in FOOD
13 WATER – Our second theme word, which can follow GOLD, FLOOD and TROD and precede POLO, SHEDS and FORD
15 SHEDS – Double definition
17 ALTRUISM – A,L,TRUISM
18 WARHORSE – R in (WAS HERO)*
22 JOSEPH – EP in JOSH
23 CHUFFS – C,HUFFS
25 TROD – T (start of term),ROD
26 EARL – EARL[-y]
27 FORD – FOR,D – Ref. ex-pres Gerald

9 Responses to “Independent 6,988/Virgilius”

1. C.G. Rishikesh says:

19a: (s)CREW, I think. One of the meanings for ‘screw’ in Chambers is “a screw propeller or ship driven by one”.

2. C.G. Rishikesh says:

1d: ‘or’ in heraldry is the tincture gold. That is why “gold” in crossword clues often yields OR.

3. conradcork says:

8 across. Port isn’t necessarily red, so I hesitated before entering it.

4. Bracoman says:

A very clever puzzle as always from the master. I particularly enjoyed defenestration.

5. Mick h says:

I liked FLOOD, with the definition ‘that banks can’t control’.

6. Wil Ransome says:

Watch fire???

Port watch is I suspect a naval term, one of the watches on board ship.

7. eimi says:

Watch fire: According to Collins, a fire kept burning at night as a signal or for warmth and light by a person keeping watch.

8. Allan_C says:

Another good puzzle, though I got some of the answers without fully understanding the clues. I must have been thick, though, not to get ‘Iowa’ – all I could think of from the checking letters was ‘Iona’ for ‘island’ which made the rest of the clue totally baffling.

9. nmsindy says:

You were not alone in that re IOWA, Allan_C. Quite a tricky clue.