Financial Times 13,022 / Monk

Posted by Gaufrid on March 11th, 2009

Gaufrid.

A most enjoyable puzzle with, as is usual for Monk, some excellent surfaces. Unfortunately I am unable, as yet, to explain the wordplay in 14d. Edit: now explained by Nmsindy, see below.

1 PERSONA NON GRATA  AN in *(PATRON RAGES)
9 TRAGEDY  AGED (old folk) in TRY (judge)
10 TENACES  cd&d
11 SAMOS  SAM (missile) OS (very large) – not sure where the ‘base for’ comes in.
12 SEPHARDIC  *(CHAP RIDES)
13 ESPLANADE  PLAN (map) in [d]E SADE (marquis heading off)
15 OMAHA  hidden in ‘tOMAHAwk’
16 OUNCE  [b]OUNCE (bob’s headless)
18 TASK-FORCE  T (time) ASK FOR (request) CE (church)
20 ECCENTRIC  CENT (coin) in CIRCE (sorceress) reversed
23 ORLOP  RL (hands) O (love) in OP (work)
24 RISOTTO  OTT (too much) O (old) SIR (gentleman) reversed
25 SCOTTIE  SCOTT (explorer) IE (for example)
26 STARS AND STRIPES  STARS (Norma for example) AND (with) TRIPE (rubbish) in SS (ship) – Norma is a small southern constellation.

1 PATES DE FOIE GRAS  *(GEAR) in *(SAFE-DEPOSIT)
2 ROAD-MAP  D (England ultimately) in ROAM (ramble) A P (a page)
3 OVERSTATE  [c]OVER (screen) STATE (say)
4 ABYSS  BY (near) in ASS (fool)
5 OCTUPLETS  *(CLOUTS PET)
6 GANJA  NAG (horse) reversed JA (yes, in German)
7 ARCADIA  CAD (bounder) in ARIA (song)
8 ASSOCIATED PRESS  ASSOCIATED (connected) PRESS (iron)
14 AFTERNOON  P (little pressure) M (married) - Edit: thanks Nmsindy for the explanation of this one.
15 OFF-COLOUR  cd&d
17 NICOSIA  *(CASINO I)
19 ROLL-TOP  ROLL (bread) TOP (lid)
21 NATES  ATE (scoffed) in NS (poles)
22 COSTS  CO (company) ST (good man) S (succeeded)

7 Responses to “Financial Times 13,022 / Monk”

1. nmsindy says:

I think it’s PM pressure, married

2. Gaufrid says:

Thanks Nmsindy
    Of course! Now why didn’t I think of that?

3. Will says:

I thought this was tricky. Nine references I didn’t know, though I’m swift to add that my vocabulary and general knowledge are very undeveloped by crossword standards: Tenace, Samos, Sephardic, Omaha as ‘military target’, Norma, Arcadia, Associated Press (though I’ve heard the term), Roll-top, Nates.

Quite enjoyable. Not sure I’ve done a Monk before.

4. Will says:

I still don’t understand Omaha, in fact. But I’m too late to get a response.

5. Gaufrid says:

Hi Will
    No, you’re not too late to get a response. Monk is one of the more difficult setters in the FT, but usually perfectly fair.

Regarding ‘Omaha’, this was the code name for one of the Allied landings in Normandy during World War 2, hence the ‘military target’.

6. Will says:

Thanks. In fact, that’s pretty remarkable, because a clue I was pondering in yesterday’s Times used ‘Normandy beach’ to define Gold, and I only understand it now having looked up Omaha – the three others were Juno, Sword and Utah.

Weird.

7. John in USA says:

There were some problematical clues here, for me at least.

10A Tenaces are card holdings, not hands, in bridge at least, so the non-cryptic definition doesn’t quite work.

3D “about” in the clue seems to have no function.

7D and 15D required knowledge well beyond my ken!