Independent 6993 by Mass

Posted by NealH on March 16th, 2009

NealH.

*=anag, []=dropped, <=reversed, hom=homophone, CD=cryptic def

An enjoyable puzzle with nothing too difficult or controversial. I couldn’t see any obvious NINA.

9 Orchestra: I think this is just a CD relating to bars in musical composition.
10 Award: A draw<.
11 Nosegay: (Ages on)< + [deca]y.
12 Tsarism: (it’s arms)*, crush being the anagram indicator.
13 Trait: Art< + It.
14 Chocolate: (The CO)* around cola.
16 Eternal Triangle: (retrial gentle[m]an)*.
19 Liquidate: (I’d tequila)*. Ice here is used in the slang sense of “to kill someone”.
21 Brace: double def. A brace is a term for a type of bracket and is used with drilling tools, as in “brace and bit”.
22 Brassie: hom of brassy – type of golf club.
23 Pursuit: pur[e] suit.
24 Tan go
25 Alligator: (a gorilla)* around [fores]t.
1 Down at heel: (hole, wet and)*.
2 Ice Skate: I CE + (takes)*. It refers to Christoper Dean, the partner of Jayne Torvill.
3 W eight
4 Stay Sty around A.
5 Eastbourne: East + hom of borne.
6 Casanova: CD. Casanova “scored” a lot.
7 Marina: Ram< + in a.
8 Adam: CD.
14 Collateral:Col + la + later*.
15 Elementary: Element + a + ry.
17 Nainsook: (on soakin[g])*.
18 Graduate: CD.
20 Quaint: Qu + aint.
21 Borage: b[ear] + ora[n]ge.
22 Butt: double def.
23 Palm: Pal + M[ay].

8 Responses to “Independent 6993 by Mass”

1. Simon Harris says:

A few tough ones for a Monday, I thought, but enjoyable enough nonetheless.

I felt “Casanova” was a little unsatisfying though, as there was very little reason to choose that over, say, Maradona.

2. nmsindy says:

Great to see Mass back with his wonderfully crafted clues with excellent surface readings. My favourite was ADAM “Fall guy?”.
    I don’t think Casanova has serious competition from Maradona, who was a midfield player primarily tho English fans tend to remember one game in which he played and scored twice. And there would not be much that was cryptic about it.

3. NealH says:

I think the fans would say that he scored only once (legally).

4. Simon Harris says:

Well, to be pedantic, he scored 311 club goals and 34 international, and I’d wager that several of those were match winners! But my point was really that “Winning scorer” doesn’t have much of anything about it that would suggest “Casanova” either. I could be missing some obvious reference I suppose.

Just my two pesos anyway :)

5. Paul B says:

I’ve got a feeling that

Fall guy?

was also in this weekend’s Everyman.

I didn’t do the puzzle, which was under to suzerainty of Suze and some ladies, but quickly glanced over it whilst they ate their pies.

6. Allan_C says:

6d, Casanova is more subtle than you might think. ‘Scoring’ is slang for successfully seducing. Also, in a cryptic clue, ‘scorer’ can mean ‘composer’, and there was (is?) a composer by the name of Andre Casanova.

7. NealH says:

Yes, I did wonder about Andre Casanova but he didn’t seem to be well enough known for that to be the major idea behind the clue. He’s not on Wikipedia and even google searches don’t come up with a lot of stuff about him.

8. nmsindy says:

Yes, I read Casanova as in the first line of comment 6 above. I would not think the composer is relevant tho.