Posted by Ciaran McNulty on March 18th, 2009
(x) = removed
(X) = inserted
* = anagram
< = reversed
1. COMPREHENSIBLE. COM(mon) + PREHENSI(B.)LE.
9. LYRICAL. (ju)LI(an)CLARY*. Fantastic.
10. DEBAUCH. (H CUBED + A)*. I liked the use of H3 here! I stupidly started thinking about Tritium which is H3.
11. MANSE. MAN(S)E. A minister’s home, related to ‘mansion’.
12. EXCREMENT. EX C(R.E.M.)ENT. REM are a bit too modern for the Guardian surely? They’ve only been going 20-odd years!
13. NERVE CELL. ‘SERVE NELL’ spoonerised.
14. BASIS. BAS(1)S.
15. LOSER. (c)LOSER.
17. DUMBARTON. DUMB + ART + ON. Only got this with all the checked letters, it’s apparently a royal burgh.
20. THERMIDOR. TH(MIRED*)OR. One of the French revolutionary months. I went down a dead end involving MONTH* making THEO-something.
22. KNISH. Starting letters of the first few words,&lit.
23. ORIGAMI. R.I. in IMAGO. An imago is the final state of an insect after metamorphosis.
24. IMPRESS. (M + SPIRES)*.
25. FLYING BUTTRESS. FLY + ING(BUTT)RESS.
1. CALAMINE LOTION. ANOINTCAMELOIL*.
2. MARINER. MAR(I)NER. Guessed it from the crossed letters and had to look up Silas Marner. Subject of a novel by George Eliot.
3. RACKETEER. RACKE(TEE)R. A racker would be someone who uses The Rack.
4. HELLENE. HELL + E.N.E.
5. NODICAL. ANDLOCI. A node is an intersection.
6. IMBUE. I.(MB + U)E. ‘thats’ is I.E. and an MB is a medical degree.
7. LAURELS. LA + RULES*.
8. PHOTOSYNTHESIS. P(HOT)OSY + (ligh)TSHINES*. I initially thought ‘flowers’ shouldn’t be a plural here, before I remembered posy can mean ‘bouquet’ as well.
14. BLACK SPOT. BLACKS + POT.
16. SPECIAL. LA(ICE)PS<.
17. DODGING. DO(D.G.)ING.
18. MARTINU. (UNIT+RAM)< Never heard of him, but got it from the letters.
19. TRIREME. TRI(R.E.)M + E.
21. MIAMI. MI(A)MI. Mimi is a character in La Bohème.