Independent 6992/Nimrod (Prize puzzle 16-03-09)

Posted by neildubya on March 20th, 2009

neildubya.
7/25/4 NINE TILL FIVE – “when on duty” is the def, and “Norma Bolton” is a reference to the clue numbers of those answers – 9d and 5d respectively.
8 (I FOUND CLUE)* – FLUID OUNCE
11 THREE TIMES THREE – “Crowds” for THREE and THREE is a nice touch (“three’s a crowd”) but I’m not keen on the surface reading.
12 S(HINDI)G
13 S(ANT)AFE – SANTA FE
14 HELEN WILLS MOODY – Helen of Troy had, according to Christopher Marlowe, a “face that launched a thousand ships”.
17 MUD BATH – I did wonder for a while whether ICE might have been a band in the 70s.
20 CHARGED – must be a double def I guess.
22 MILLY-MOLLY-MANDY – can’t fathom this one out at all: “Children’s favourite with silly lolly – handy 3000 for old heads”. “Silly lolly” probably indicates anagram fodder but that’s as far as I can get.
24 D(ASK,A,PIT)AL – DAS KAPITAL.

1 S,[-r]ETINU[-e] (going up) – UNITES.
2 (LET IN AIR)* – INERTIAL
3 FLYING FISH – “Fly Fishing” is the fictional book by the fictional J R Hartley in the much-parodied Yellow Pages ads from the 1980s. For readers too young to know what I’m on about or those not in possession of an idiot-box: Youtube is your friend.
5 BOLT-ON
6 (EM CEE TRY)* – CEMETERY
9 hidden in “paraNORMAl”
10 LEAD-ON
13 SAL,T,CELLAR – is SAL an abbreviation for “salmon”.
14 H(MEMO<)ADE[-s] – HOMEMADE. Nicely disguised split between def and wordplay in “Hell’s Kitchen produced this”
15 (AS IM MA)* – MIASMA
16 ORGAN,DIE – I wondered how “long” could be DIE but then the phrase “to die for” came to mind – perhaps that what it’s referring to?
18 D,ALES – “d ales” could be 500 ales.
19 ANYWAY – “all roads lead to Rome”.
21 (LADY DO)* – DAY-OLD. “Thrilled” seems to be stretching things as an anagram indicator.
23 O,BIT – an angler’s bad day might be one where “nothing bit”.

11 Responses to “Independent 6992/Nimrod (Prize puzzle 16-03-09)”

Hi Neil. 22ac: Take the heads off ‘silly lolly handy and substitute M M M. [Milly Molly Mandy is the heroine of a series of children’s books by Joyce Lankester.]

2. beermagnet says:

MILLY MOLLY MANDY Comes from each M of the 3,000 ( M M M ) replacing each of the heads of “silly lolly handy”

3. Allan_C says:

I think you’re right about how ‘long’ is ‘die': more particularly in “I’m dying for a —–” referring to a drink, cigarette or whatever.
    Liked the clue about Milly-Molly-Mandy but not sure how well anyone under 45 would get it – or are the books the sort that continue to appeal to successive generations? And with refs to J R Hartley and Helen Wills Moody I think this was definitely a puzzle for the older generation.
    And I’ve never come across ‘sal’ as an abbreviation for ‘salmon’ – can anyone quote a source?

4. Geoff Moss says:

Alan
    “And I’ve never come across ’sal’ as an abbreviation for ’salmon’ – can anyone quote a source?”

It doesn’t appear in any of the standard references and, like you, I have never seen it before. I would be interested in knowing the full clue, though I could wait until it is on-line tomorrow.

5. nmsindy says:

“Use this for seasoning salmon having little room on bone (10)”

6. Geoff Moss says:

Thanks Nmsindy.
    There doesn’t appear to be any other way of parsing this clue but I have been unable to find sal as an abbreviation for salmon in any reputable (or even not so reputable) reference.

Googling does indicate that this abbreviation might be quite widely used in the food and catering industries, and amongst anglers, but it doesn’t seem to be specifically defined anywhere.

I find that ‘salmo SALAR’ is the Atlantic salmon, so it could be T + CELL [little room] in SALAR.

Allan: Milly-Molly-Mandy is enjoying a new lease of life and I was able to introduce my granddaughter to her.

8. eimi says:

Salar is also a salmon in a novel by Tarka the Otter author Henry Williamson, but his political views probably (hopefully) preclude a new lease of life for his works. The little room is cell, rather than cellar – no particular reason why a cellar should be small.

With these and other references, this was certainly a Saturday puzzle.

9. Al Streatfield says:

It’s never quite clear to me why it’s permissible to include obscure words, which may need reference books to find them, in normal Saturday prize puzzles (i.e. the prize equivalent of a daily). Surely these words are more appropriate for the other Saturday puzzle (i.e. The Inquisitor) where the solver knows where he or she stands and will happily go to Chambers, or possibly elsewhere, and look things up…

10. Allan_C says:

At risk of being judged off-topic by Chatmeister, I don’t have a problem with obscure words on Saturdays or any other day. But the Inquisitor etc are a whole new ball game where the answer to a clue often has to be “treated” before entry in the grid. Call me unadventurous, but I prefer to stick with straight cryptics.

11. nmsindy says:

Give them a go, Allan_C, the principles are not different, and, if you don’t mind the obscure words as you say (essentially the current edition of Chambers is the source for Inquisitor etc), it opens the door on an extra thematic solving experience IMHO.