Independent 6,997 by Phi

Posted by Simon Harris on March 20th, 2009

Simon Harris.

What a week for us Independent solvers. I’m a little relieved to have drawn the Friday, all things considered.

That said, I felt the pressure, and I don’t think I’ve done a great job of blogging this characteristically strong Phi puzzle. Your input will be welcome.

1 ANDANTINO – AND + AN + INTO*. I’m not sure I quite follow vivace as an anagrind, but I’ll buy it.
6 APHID – PHI “brought in” A D.
9 INFANTA – I + N + FAN + TA. Really nice charade clue.
10 REALISM – IS “captured in” REALM.
11 STAYS – “old set of bones”?
12 GREGORIAN – ROGER< “in” GAIN*.
13 IAI-DO – I + AID + [-jud]O. I hadn’t heard of this particular discipline, but it looks fun.
14 OGEN MELON – O + GEN + (MEN “about” LO[-t]). Apparently a name for several types of melon from Israel. Israel is of course famous for its fruit and fruit products, but I hadn’t heard of this. In downtown Jerusalem you can have a pint of strawberry juice with your lunch, it really is the most wonderful thing.
17 VIN DE PAYS – (NAVY SPIED)*.
18 RIFLE – F “in” RILE.
19 DESPERADO – I think this is SPARED*, with DEO “acting as protector”. “Desperado” came up in the Guardian a couple of weeks ago, I think.
22 OZONE – OZ + ONE.
24 ORIGAMI – O + RIG + AM I. No doubt coincidentally, this was in the Guardian a couple of days ago as R.I. in IMAGO<.
25 ANISEED – (I SEE) “filling” AND.
26 STOAT – TOTS< “carrying” A.
27 ENERGISED – E[-lectricity] + (GRID SEEN)*.
1/4 A MISS IS AS GOOD AS A MILE – I’m a little stretched here. Is this A + (hom. of “Mrs”) + AS GOOD AS + (AMIE “enthralling” L)?
2 DEFLATION – DEF “followed by” (O “in” LATIN). I don’t think I’ve heard “def” since the Beastie Boys were popular, but it’s in Chambers along with “phat” (see this week’s Beelzebub).
3 NINE-SCORE – I don’t follow this at all, beyond nine score being 180, and therefore “a good darts tally”.
5/23 OUR REVELS NOW ARE ENDED – long anagram.
6 ALAMO – A + L + A + MO.
7 HAITI – (HIT “securing” A) + I[-ndependence].
8 DOMINANCE – ((DANCE “bagging” [-g]O[-ALS]) “taking” MIN).
13 INVIDIOUS – any thoughts?
15 MAROONING – [-re]AR “in” MOONING.
16 LEFTOVERS – LEFT + OVERS.
20 SLIGO – S[-til]L + I GO.
21 EXACT – CT “supporting” AXE<.

12 Responses to “Independent 6,997 by Phi”

1. Richard Palmer says:

13 down is INSIDIOUS with V replacing S

2. nmsindy says:

11 STAYS = checks (hold back) and underwear of days gone by, I think cf whalebone etc.

3. nmsindy says:

It’s MISSIS, I think (same as MISSUS).

4. nmsindy says:

180 is the highest possible score in darts i.e, NINE-SCORE.

5. Testy says:

I get that NINE-SCORE is 180 and that this is the top score in darts but is that all there is to this clue? Is it just a cryptic definition? If it is then it seems a bit weak to me.

6. nmsindy says:

score = both tally and twenty so there’s something cryptic there. Don’t know enough about darts to know if nine is also significant in some way. Good puzzle, harder than usual from Phi, the two long entries took me quite a while to work out.

7. Ali says:

I fell down on the REVELS long anagram as I’m not familiar with the phrase and presumed that it wouldn’t be ….ENDED as the word ‘ending’ was in the clue. Hmmmph.

Aside from a 9-dart finish being the oche equivalent of a 147 break, 9 has no other real significance, so it’s just a cryptic definition I think.

Agree that this was a tougher Phi puzzle, but a great finish to a great working week (of crosswords!)

8. nmsindy says:

The REVELS item is a quote from “The Tempest” by the Bard.

9. Richard Heald says:

I’d guess the thinking behind the wordplay for 3 Dn is that ‘nINe’s core’ suggests ‘IN’.

10. nmsindy says:

That looks like it, Richard, well-spotted!

11. Richard says:

Nothing to add, except to agree that I agree with Ali that it was yet another cracking puzzle from the Indy. I dread to think what’s coming our way tomorrow.

12. Allan_C says:

Again, little to add, except that 13 points up that Collins often hyphenates – IAI-DO (3,2) – where Chambers doesn’t – IAIDO (5). And the puzzle was another example of what seems to be an Indy speciality in that clues covering more than one light often come in pairs arranged symmetrically in the grid.