Guardian 24,655 – Araucaria

cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

In another private crossword group that I belong to, the good Reverend is known simply as The Master and today, he showed his mastery again with his various devices and trickeries. In fact, I found I got the answers most of the time from the definition and then had to double-back to unravel his very elaborate (but fair) wordplay. In this, I was not always successful. The whole experience was one of great challenge and enjoyment.

ACROSS
1 BREADWINNER I was stopped in my tracks trying to understand the workplay. Apart from seeing ‘AD’ as poster, the rest … ?
9 INROADS cd
10 HAIR DYE What a lovely def. Partial ins of IE (that is) in Thomas HARDY (novelist)
11 TEUTONISM *(I must note) I do not understand “putting verbs at end of clauses”
12 ANNAN dd Kofi Annan (former UN Sec-Gen) and place/river in Scotland
13 NEAT Triple def
14 RHINOCEROS Ins of O C (old Number 100 in Rpman numeral) in RHIN (River Rhine minus e) & EROS (love)
16 CORDON BLEU *(Old bouncer)
19 BULB dd I always love Spring in the UK when the tulip bulbs burst out in glorious colours after the drab grey winter. I am scheduled to be there for the whole of May and wonder whether I would be able to see such a sight
21 BRAVO dd I had to confirm with Chambers that there is indeed such a meaning – interj (also ) well done; excellent (also brava when addressed to a woman, bravi to a number of persons).
n (pl bravos or bravoes) a call of *bravo*; a daring villain; a hired assassin.
22 GODOLPHIN Cha of GO (leave) Dolphin (swimmer) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Godolphin,_1st_Earl_of_Godolphin
24 LUGHOLE Cha of L (learner/student) Ugh (expression of disgust) Ole! (expression of approval) aka the ear
25 MADE HAY Allusion to Make hay while the sun shines
26 ELASTIC BAND Cha of Elastic (flexible) Band (musicians)

DOWN
1 BERMUDA TRIANGLE Bermuda shorts (garment or rig) *(alerting)
I simply love the definition
2 ERATO Era (time) T (time) O (love) a muse
3 DISTICH ha A new word for me
4 INHUMAN Ins of HUM (sound) in INANE minus E
5 NUISANCE Ins of IS in Nuance (subtle)
6 RIDING ROUGHSHOD Riding (of Yorkshire) Roughs (hooligans) Hod (carrier of bricks)
7,8 MILTON KEYNES Ins of TON (heavyweight) * KEY (clue) in Milne’s
Alan Alexander Milne (1882 – 1956) The Open University’s HQ
16 COBALT Cha of COB (horse) A Lt (a lieutenant, officer)
17 BIGFEET Three feet make a yard and if the feet are big, then …
18 ENDEMIC Someone?
20 BENZYL Karl BENZ (1844-1929) (car inventor) Y (year) L (left)
23,15 LYDIA LOPOKOVA Lydia (don’t know why she is old countryqoman) + ins of P (Parking) in LOOK (see) & OVA (eggs) Wife of Keynes

41 Responses to “Guardian 24,655 – Araucaria”

1. Monica M says:

Good Morning Uncle Yap and thanks,

I too found the answers and struggled to find the word play.

1ac … Pass = Brenner + insert ion of ad + wi (with shortly).

1dn … Bermuda comes from a type of boat rigging.

15 dn … Lydia was a kingdom of west Asia Minor.(thanks google)

11ac I’m still stumped but 24ac made me LOL.

2. Monica M says:

Also, Thanks for clearing up 17dn … it really had me scratching my head.

13ac … I don’t understand the like ‘cox’ part of the definition … can you enlighten me please?

3. C.G. Rishikesh says:

Re 18dn ENDEMIC. I think it’s END (at last) plus EMIC (hidden in ‘thE MICkey’, ‘taking … somewhat’ being hidden ind.

4. Uncle Yap says:

Chambers
    neat2 (or )
    n (pl neat) an ox, cow, bull, etc.
    [OE n\-eat cattle, a beast, from n\-eotan, n\-iotan to use; cf Scot nowt1 from ON naut]

5. C.G. Rishikesh says:

Yes, I would have understood if it were ‘like cow’ or ‘like ox’ but in the online version it’s “like ‘Cox'”. Hence the puzzlement.

6. Monica M says:

I’m thinking … the ‘ ‘ indicates sounds … run the words together like cox sounds similar to like ox.

Any ideas on 11ac.

7. Uncle Yap says:

I get my clues from http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Guardian/documents/2009/03/23/gdn.cryptic.20090324.pdf
    and there is no problem as it read
    13 Trim and plain, like “ox” (4)

But I went elsewhere and yes, there is indeed a typo “Cox”

8. C.G. Rishikesh says:

The typo is in the interactive version.

9. David says:

I can’t help but think that the plural of bigfoot should be bigfoots. And I wouldn’t have got LYDIA LOPOKOVA even if I hadn’t entered MAKE HAY for 26a!
    Thanks again, Uncle Yap, and enjoy your stay over here!

10. David says:

Oh, and TEUTONISM: in the German language, the verb often comes at the end of a sentence or phrase, but I don’t see why ‘say’ is in the clue.

Good morning all – super puzzle!

In 1ac, it’s W[ith] + I [one]

David, I initially put ‘make hay’ and then was stuck for a name –K-A and had to ask Google who Mrs Keynes was – a Russian ballerina, apparently.

I think the ‘say’ in 11ac is because putting verbs at the end of clauses is just one feature of Teutonism.

On second thoughts, re 1ac, I think you’re right, Monica – the ‘one’ is needed for the definition. It’s just that W is usually the abbreviation for ‘with’ – in which case the ‘shortly isn’t necessary – so, my apologies!

13. Monica M says:

As we say here … No worries Eileen … there’s always a possibility I would be wrong.

Teutonism … still leaves me a bit cold.

14. Paul B says:

I think the plural of bigfoot should be bigfoot. I always hunt squirrel, for example.

15. smutchin says:

Really enjoyed this one – possibly because I found it quite easy, even though – like you, Uncle Yap – I filled in some of the answers without fully understanding the wordplay. The only ones I didn’t get were 23/15 and 22a, and I might have got 23/15 if I’d had access on the train to Wikipedia to look up who was the wife of Keynes. I was misled by “on leave” in 22a.

David re 10 – it’s “say” because putting the verb at the end of the sentence is an example of Teutonism rather than a definition of it.

I also put MAKE HAY for 25a.

And another vote here for BIGFOOTS as the “correct” plural.

16. cholecyst says:

17 d. See http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Bigfoot. Apparently anything will do.

17. cholecyst says:

17 d(again) Probably irrelevant, but Chambers has plural of (the plan) “coltsfoot” as “coltsfoot” or “coltsfoots”

18. cholecyst says:

I meant plant

19. Derek Lazenby says:

The choice Make or Made Hay was distinctly ambigious.

Didn’t get several of those, at least one of which was the typo Cox. They really are getting worse. It’s only since December I’ve been doing them on-line and even in that short time the proof reading has nose-dived.

Since when was lug hole one word?

20. Mort says:

Really liked this one, but I’m not too happy about 10A. What is it about the clueing that indicates a partial insertion? The only way I can make it work is to say that the ‘that’ of ‘that is’ (i.e.) is inserted (‘in novelist that’), with the ‘is’ (e) following at the end.

21. Monica M says:

If there wasn’t something to have a beef (pun intended) about, where would we be …

Maybe, because we’re becoming so much more analytical about the clues, the setters are becomng more obscure to challenge us. (They do poke their heads in)

I work on the theory that, if I can work it out, you lot can.

22. M1kes says:

11 ac Maybe, the “effect” of the anagram “I must note” provides the answer teutonism which is suggested by the rest of the clue?

23. Monica M says:

I’m not usually cranky …. but … 11ac (tuetonism) … it just doesn’t do it for me.

24. Shirley says:

To Derek Lazenby & C.G. Rishikesh Instead of pressing “Print” when the crossword appears on the screen try clicking on “Special instructions: Click here for the pdf version” which appears at the top of the page.
    You will then avoid the typos which appear in the on screen version. Don’t ask me why.
    I know that Uncle Yap has given you the shortcut for the pdf version, but I hope another route for getting there might be useful.
    Hope I’m not being too patronising!

25. Tom Hutton says:

There was very little pleasure in this crossword for me at all. There are spare words in clues – that in 14ac and at in 18dn, obscure references in 11ac, 23dn and 22ac. I liked 1ac and 24ac though.

In 16dn, having got COBALT from the crossing letters, I was initially looking for it to be CO [officer] + ?, as it’s not usual in a down clue for ‘on’ to mean ‘after’ [but I think it's justifiable].

I did like the pun in shows his metal / mettle.

27. liz says:

Thanks Uncle Yap. I really liked this one. Messed up Lydia’s surname through sloppiness but found plenty to enjoy, even if I didn’t see all of the wordplay.

28. Dave Ellison says:

Enjoyed this, more like vintage A. I thought the same as you, Eileen, in 16d, and googled for BALT as a horse, with only partial success (got Baltimore Horse Country)

29. Geoff says:

Enjoyed this one, but had to look up Mrs Keynes (didn’t Araucaria have MAYNARD in a recent puzzle?). I might have got LYDIA if I didn’t have MAKE HAY for 25ac – this is a rather unsatisfactory clue, being barely cryptic AND ambiguous.

And I don’t like BIGFEET (although the clue is perfectly fair), but the rest is all vintage Araucaria. I have no problem with the clue for 11ac: ‘say’ seems a fair addition, as verb final sentences are just an example of German syntax.

30. Derek Lazenby says:

Shirley, ta but I prefer keyboards, I don’t print the crossword, in any form. Having spent 45 years in the software industry developing software, and because proof reading was a regular part of the job, I know what can be achieved with respect to on-line accuracy and also how many people seem to think doing so is harder than it actually is. So I’m afraid I’m used to better. But I’m semi-retired, so if there’s anything I can do…..

BTW people, my name is now blue….

31. JamieC says:

A good puzzle this. 11ac is a perfectly fair clue. Germans love verbs at the end of sentences to put, but I guess you either know that or you don’t.

I’m surprised there hasn’t been more grumbling about 10ac. Surely “in novelist, that is”, means IE inside the name of a novelist? Hence I got stuck and ended up cheating.

I didn’t get the wordplay for 1ac at the time, but now it makes perfect sense.

32. muck says:

I agree JamieC that IE in HARDY doesn’t quite work for HAIR DYE
    Couldn’t get LYDIA LOPOKOVA from the word play – I had the general idea, but had MAkE HAY for 25ac as other comments above.

33. muck says:

25ac again: the saying is definitely ‘Make hay while the sun shines’. Some indication of the past tense would have helped: eg ‘Cut long grass when the sun shone’?

34. Paul (not Paul) says:

I thought this was largely fair. We know what we’re going to get with Araucaria and he didn’t disappoint today. Some easy, some not so. Some playing by the rules, some less so. I too guessed a fair number and the worked out (or didn’t) the wordplay retrospectively.

Lydia is an old country. Mr Google provides this site, for example.

35. PBE says:

I patted myself on the back for finishing it, but then I thought that there would be lots of comments from you gurus along the lines of “Ludicrously easy”, and “Polished it off between Clapham Junction and Waterloo”; so it’s a relief to find that it earned your respect.

Perhaps you could conspiratorially take it in turn to post at least one cry of despair and frustration as a response to each puzzle, pour encourager nous autres?

36. dagnabit says:

Thank you, Uncle Yap, especially for the explanations at 21ac, 6d, and 16d. And your comments at 19ac were lovely.

Eileen, I’d never come across “on” used as “after” before. But it makes more sense than a clue about a horse upon a man…

If Lydia is a country, is “woman” at 23/15 just for the surface meaning (i.e., as a referent for “she”)? Or is “old country”/”woman” a fused dd?

37. dagnabit says:

Oops, how sexist of me to have written “…upon a man” just now. My apologies to all female lieutenants.

Dagnabit; ‘on’ used as ‘after’ is quite common in across clues, in the sense of ‘added on’. I suppose it would mean the same in down clues, too, except that here it usually means ‘before’, in the sense of ‘on top of’! It’s rather like the way in which ‘without’ can mean either ‘outside’ or ‘minus’, so that ‘without e’ can mean either ‘with an e inside’ or ‘without any e at all’!!

39. Neo says:

Nope. Probably nope, anyway.

In across clues X ON Y gives YX (certainly in The Times, though I learn today there is quite some variance in opinion on this) and in down clues XY (on top of, as you observe).

40. Judith says:

I’ve never felt I had anything to add before, but I think 11ac “clauses, say” is a reference to more than one Claus or Klaus.

41. dagnabit says:

Eileen (and Neo): Thank you for the further discussion. I now have something new to look out for when solving.

Judith: I like your interpretation!