Independent 7001/Dac

Posted by John on March 25th, 2009

John.

Everything typically elegant and natural today.

1 FEAT HERB RAINED — One of the signs of a good charade clue is that the long word is split into components that are not themselves suggested by the word. At first I wasn’t sure about ‘on’ and it looked like one of those rather cumbersome link-words that is there only for the wordplay, but in fact I think it’s just ‘rained’ = ‘poured water on’ — just
8 DR OP I N
21 CHARTIST — refers to Da Vinci’s Mappamundi
23 WIND DOWN — 2 defs
24 A STRID{e}
25 THE WEAKEST LINK — (he{c}k Kate Winslet)*, ‘being’ a noun

1 FIRM A (MEN) T
2 APPAL — “a Paul”
3 HANG-OUT — 2 defs I think — seems a bit loose and perhaps I’m missing something
4 ROAD-FUND LICENCE — (red could finance)*
5 R O MAINE
6 IRASCIBLE — (Blair sic {on}e)*
7 ELTON — L in (note)rev, ref Ben Elton and Elton John
13 EYE SHADOW — “I” S(HAD)OW
15 SLAPSTICK — (pals)rev stick
17 CORDOBA — (cab door)*
18 ADAM ANT
20 chAP IS Handling
22 T{a}U{n}T{s} TI{me}

5 Responses to “Independent 7001/Dac”

1. nmsindy says:

Yes, excellent from Dac, not too difficult. You’re right about HANG-OUT which I thought was very good. The ? gives it a cryptic definition element, I’d think.

2. Richard Palmer says:

I didn’t understand 21ac. I thought it was CH + artist but I couldn’t justify the CH. I’m not convinced by the mappa mundi explanation – there are much better known cartographers than da Vinci, e.g. Mercator.

3. nmsindy says:

I thought it might be CH = church artist, but then thought John may be right, though not very familiar with it all.

4. Testy says:

I wasn’t sure about 21ac either but I think Nmsindy’s idea seems likely to me. It explains why the “by implication” bit is in there.

5. Richard Heald says:

Having double-checked that Da Vinci wasn’t actually from Switzerland, I agree that John’s explanation for 21 Ac is the only feasible one. I also thoughht for a while that Eton is a bishopric, having been completely fooled by the ‘see’ and the ambiguous ‘stand-up’ of 7 Dn! Crafty bit of misdirection there from Dac.