Posted by Ciaran McNulty on March 26th, 2009
Quite easy for a thursday I thought, but I was left with a couple of quibbles and uncertainties. These were balanced by the highly enjoyable 9ac, 11ac and 25ac.
dd = double definition
* = anagram
< = reversed
8. MANITOBA. MO(A NIT)B + A.
9. WHILE STOCKS LAST. Rotten tomatoes were thrown at people in stocks.
11. TRUST ME I’M A DOCTOR. MEDICOMUST(s)TART*+OR (=”on the other hand”).
12. GANDER. dd ‘bird’/'look’
14. AMORETTO. A + MORE + OTT<. An image of cupid (chubby naked boy).
20. UNDER PAR. A birdie in golf is an under par score, but to my mind ‘sick as a parrot’ means ‘disappointed and upset’, not literally sick. I don’t have a Chambers or similar to see if it says different.
22. PRETTY. dd ‘almost’ / ‘attractive’.
24. FAIR GAME. One might shoot ducks at a fair.
25. TRAIN. T(R)AIN ‘Right to enter TAIN’. Some people seem to think clues like this are somehow cheating, but I really enjoy them.
26. HEN NIGHT. HEIGHT is presumably measure up, but not sure why twins is NN.
1. CALABASH. C(A LAB(-our))ASH. A tree.
4. NATURAL. dd, presumably is a score in some sort of game (I dimly recall it being something in bridge and craps).
5. TWO-TO-ONE. T + WO(TOON)E. Price in the betting sense.
6. PINE NEEDLE. PI(NENE + E.D.)LE. The Nene is a river.
7. KERMIT THE FROG. GREEKFOR+ H* around MITT. I’m not sure why ‘chand’ originally is H.
13. DUFFELCOAT. DUFF + TALE< around CO.
15. OPPOSING. OP(us). + POSING.
18. NOT RIGHT. dd. ‘left’ / ‘broken’.
19. BREATHE. B(RE:)ATHE.
21. NOTATE. Presumably ‘no tate’ but that assumes the tate = Tate Modern, ignoring the three other Tate galleries that aren’t exclusively Modern art.
22. PATENT PENDING. PA(TENT)P + ENDING.
24. FLIP SIDE. Hidden in ‘oF LIPS IDEntifies’.