Independent 6998/Math (Prize puzzle 21-03-09)

Posted by neildubya on March 27th, 2009

neildubya. A fitting theme for a puzzle that appeared the day before 4. A couple of clues make reference to “ladies of tomorrow”, or “ladies celebrated on Sunday”, and there are a number of MUMs, MAs and MAMs scattered through the grid. Finally, the unchecked letters in the first and last columns of the grid spell out PATRICIA MARGARET. If I was to guess, I’d say that may be the name of Math’s Mum. Bless.

1 (UP DO I)*,M – PODIUM
5 MOMENT,UM
9 O,BI – AC/DC is slang for bisexual (BI).
10 AU FAIT – sounds like “oaf a” (“the first idiot”). Nicely done.
11 reversed initial letters of “An Inspired Musical And Movie Making Abba’s Music” – MAMMA MIA. Very clever &lit, as MAMMA MIA was indeed a musical and film.
12 SPAT,(REST)* – TAPSTERS.
13 REEL< – LEER
15 RI(N)SES
17 MAPS,MING – SPAMMING
19 ALAN in (THIN)* – INHALANT. “Mr Sugar” is ALAN Sugar, founder of technology company Amstrad and star of the BBC programme “The Apprentice”.
21 MA,NANA
22 C(L)UE
24 EN(C)UMBER – “colouring perhaps” is E NUMBER, the name given to various food additives.
27 (IM LADIES)* – IDEALISM
28 DICKIE – tough one this. It’s a double def as it can mean a detachable insert for the front of a shirt or a small third seat in the back of an old two-seater car.
30 AN(TEN)NAL
31 M(A)OIST

2 OV(UL)ATION
3 initial letters of “Islamic Men At Mosques” – IMAM. An &lit you’ve no doubt seen before.
4 MOTHER’S DAY – “Monday” with the N replaced by THE RS.
5 MI,MO,SAS – MI is “military intelligence”.
6 MU,MM
7 NEARLY MAN
8 hidden reversed in “rETINUe”
14 MAD,A CAM RAT (going up) – TARMACADAM, or tarmac for short.
16 STALE,MATE
18 (URN SEEN IN)* – NUNNERIES
20 R in (HAMLET)* – THERMAL
23 L,ADEN
25 MA,C,OH (going up) – MACHO
26 KI(L)N

5 Responses to “Independent 6998/Math (Prize puzzle 21-03-09)”

1. nmsindy says:

Brilliant puzzle, with varied treatments, all very well integrated for the day. Really liked MANANA. Saw PATRICIA emerging, looked at the other column and MARGARET suggested itself. My guess tho is that they are two separate people (MA NANA?)

2. beermagnet says:

Thanks for the blog Neil.
    There is one I still don’t fully understand – 6D MUMM.
    I remember I didn’t see the definition in the clue – the only MUMM I know is the champagne.
    Unfortunately I don’t have a copy of the puzzle with be today so can’t recall the exact clue. After seeing nothing else I did put in MUMM from “Greek letter” and “thousands”.

3. nmsindy says:

Acting in a play i.e. MUMMING

4. Ali says:

I couldn’t quite work out MUMM either, although I should have guessed it given the theme. The Nina definitely helped.

Otherwise, a top-class puzzle from a setter who is used far too infrequently. More Math please!

5. Allan_C says:

Hmmm. MIMOSAS in this puzzle, ROMAINE on Wednesday, neither in me edition of Chambers (except Mimosa as a flower). Thank goodness for Google. Have to see about replacing chambers.
    Good puzzle nevertheless, though I didn’t spot the nina.