Independent 7003 by Phi

Posted by nmsindy on March 27th, 2009

nmsindy.

Quite an easy puzzle from Phi, I thought, getting quite a bit from definitions, verifying wordplay later.    Solving time, 15 mins.

* = anagram  < = reversed

1 TIME S H(E)ET

6  STUB   Buts<    Was doubtful at first as to which was the answer but a closer reading made it clear   “Objections after (my emphasis) returning”

10 PAR (FORTH) E COURSE    Got this straightaway from definition and enumeration.     A river I’ll see this weekend.

11 STI(n)G MA

12 HE (LID E) CK   Nice to work out a new word from the wordplay as I did here, once I’d the crossing letters.

14 LE M ((c) ON CUR) D     Definition:  spread

15 SET-TO     Hidden reversal

16 TI (BE) T

18 I (GUANO) DON    This came up recently in a Nimrod puzzle I think, when I misspelt it, so I’d no problems this time.

20 A NAPA EST (is in French)   Foot from poetry

21 A (R) N OLD

24 GRANULATED SUGAR  (Urged natural gas)*

25 CROW(d)    Excellent surface

26 DYSPEPTIC     D (Cit (PEP) y’s)<    Personal Equity Plan

DOWN

1 TAP A S

2 MAR (XIS) M    six<

3 STORM IN A TEACUP    (Opens traumatic)*   Another I got straightaway from definition and enumeration.

4 ERTé      Hidden

5 TRE (ME) ND  OU’S     Open University

7 TOR RENT

8 BREAK DOWN

9 ROBINS ON CRUSOE    (course)*

13 MUSIC STAND    Cryptic definition

14 LETHARGIC   (The garlic)*   Very good

17 BRAVA DO   Brava = excellent (addressed to a female cf bravo)   “Soprano’s excellent party, offering daring stuff”   Not very familiar with operas or sopranos so  not quite sure  why.

19 DROUGHT  hidden

22 D(I)RAC    Physicist    (racing) card<

23 MEWS    Tricky – means the sound of cats and you might hear whinnies there (sounds of horses) i.e. in the stables so double definition.

7 Responses to “Independent 7003 by Phi”

1. C.G. Rishikesh says:

17d: ‘Soprano’s excellent’: maybe because BRAVA is ‘excellent’ in Italian and ‘soprano’ is Italian?

2. Colin Blackburn says:

A soprano is (generally) a female singer which would then give BRAVA rather than BRAVO.

I wonder is Phi has just read the newly published biography of Paul Dirac. Nice to see him appear in a puzzle.

3. nmsindy says:

Thanks, Colin, that possibility did occur to me so, before posting the blog, I looked up ‘soprano’ in dicts but no indication that a soprano was female was given – as you say, this may be because it’s usually but not exclusively the case.

4. Colin Blackburn says:

Wikipedia, for what it’s worth, suggests that soprano is typically a female voice with various other terms usually used to refer to a male soprano. I guess terms like this are always debatable.

Wikipedia entry for soprano

5. Phi says:

If I was talking about male sopranos, I’d use counter-tenor. In the general SATB usage (as given by Chambers’ abbreviations) it’s a female voice.

Dirac – I’d noted the biog, but I think I must do Bohr first. Dirac is undoubtedly a fascinating and peculiar character, as Segre’s book on the Copenhagen conferences makes clear (can’t remember its title, nor put an acute accent on the author’s last e).

Many years ago, at the start of my scientific career and at the very very end of his, I did attend a lecture by Dirac.

6. Wil Ransome says:

26ac: I’m not sure the parsing in the blog is correct, since it would give dsypeptic. Isn’t it d (cit(peps)y)rev.?

6ac: Doesn’t it depend on whether ‘returning’ is transitive or intransitive? The clue as written could lead to either, which in my opinion is unsatisfactory.

7. nmsindy says:

26 ac – You’re perfectly right, Wil, thanks.