Independent 7007 by Nimrod

Posted by nmsindy on April 1st, 2009

nmsindy.

A very good puzzle for April Fool’s Day by Nimrod.     Very tough, solving time, 66 mins.   There’s a Nina  which I refer to after the clue explanations.

* = anagram

ACROSS

6 PAUL   Robbing Peter to pay Paul, as in proverb.  Peter = safe.    I liked this.

7 GET THE CHOP    Double definition I got early on.

9 IVOR(y)

10 OR TH (OPTER) A   (hat)*    Cockroaches.   Order a very brief definition, but fair

12 SE (A) TTLE     There’s a University of Washington in Seattle, Google confirms

13 SORT OUT   Double definition with excellent surface reading

14 NO-W IN    I liked this, but trust it does not refer to Barack at this early stage of his presidency…

16 SON   Empty tin = SN (symbol for tin) with O in it.     I got this only near the end, but it seems so obvious when you see it.

18 I ON IC(e)

19 A (LSO) RAN   Aran Islands off West coast of Ireland.   London Symphony Orchestra (players)

21 I’LL WILL (leave i.e. bequeathe)

23 R(O)AD RUNNER   Hard

24 DEMO   Hidden

25 LARCENISTS   (clean stirs)*   rhyming slang  tea leaves = thieves

26 STYE   Hidden &lit

DOWN

1 C (U POLe) A   ca = about    Tough

2 DEBRI (E F) S     Definition:   After the event, reports      Very good

3 ETC HE’S

4 PEPPER MILLS (&Boon)

5 SHOEHORN    My last entry   (snore hho)*   Water = H2O

6 POISSON D’AVRIL   April fool – refers to theme   poisson = fish (swimmer) in French

8 PRACTICAL JOKE   (erotic lap Jack)*   Also thematic for the day.

11 I TIN (ER) ARIES

15 WI (SEAC) RE    (case)*

17 NOISETTE    Double definition.  Nutty/hybrid rose.   I got this only when I’d all the crossing letters

20 N (UNCI)O

22 I D(E) ATE

Nina:   As well as the thematic entries in the outermost columns.  APRIL FOOLS DAY can be seen in the diagonal from the A of PAUL to the Y of STYE.   I saw this only at the very end.

8 Responses to “Independent 7007 by Nimrod”

1. Ali says:

Jeez, this was tough.

I very nearly gave up with only half the grid filled, but then spotted the diagonal Nina and that seemed to help me a lot. Still ended up 5 clues short, but that’s par for the course for me when it comes to Nimrod. Despite having done a French degree, I only knew POISSON D’AVRIL from the Azed comp a while back and needed all the checking letters before I got it. Enjoyed the PAUL clue too.

2. Ray Folwell says:

I didn’t manage to finish the NE corner, partly because I put FOR THE CHOP in.
    Failed to spot the Nina as well, I was looking for something across the top and bottom rows.

3. rightback says:

Some great clues in here; the Nina certainly helped me finish. ROADRUNNER was my last entry, I spent ages trying to justify ‘rearranged’ or ‘rearranger’.

4. Wil Ransome says:

Agreed, Ali. Defeated me, not helped by my failing to see the diagonal Nina. Even now can’t see why ‘Rad’ is a political reformer in 23ac.

One quibble: 17dn: OK a noisette is a hybrid rose, but it doesn’t mean ‘nutty’ (unless there is some sense in some dictionary of which I am unaware). I don’t like this type of clueing.

5. Allan_C says:

Wil
    Noisette: a nut-like or nut-flavoured sweet (Chambers)

6. nmsindy says:

Re Wil’s points at 4, RAD = radical (in politics). Re ‘nutty’, I did look in a number of dicts before posting and while NOISETTE is generally a noun, it was given in a adjectival sense also in at least one.

7. eimi says:

Indeed. Collins, the most useful dictionary for Indy puzzles, gives the adjective as its first definition: flavoured or made with hazelnuts, hence, rather unspecifically but still fairly, I think, nutty.

8. Al Streatfield says:

“Collins, the most useful dictionary for Indy puzzles…

This seems rather strange, to my way of thinking. No statistics available, of course, but at a guess, the most popular dictionary for people who do cryptic crosswords is Chambers. (I’ve never had a Collins. The popularity of this has probably increased by the Guardian giving Collins dictionary as its prize).