Financial Times 13,045 / Moodim

Posted by Gaufrid on April 7th, 2009

Gaufrid.

Definitely a puzzle at the ‘easy’ end of the FT spectrum with many obvious and simple anagrams, charades, reversals etc. However, I am not particularly happy with the clue for 14d. As worded the anagram should be inserted into I C rather than the other way around and the definition ‘learns a trade’ does not equate with ‘apprentice’ which would be ‘one who learns a trade’ or, in N. Am., ‘learn a trade’. Having said that, there were some clues that I quite enjoyed including 24a and 19d.

1 SISKIN  S (sun) IS (island) KIN (relationship)
4 EUPHORIC  EU P (prince) *(CHOIR)
10 IRELAND  *(LIED RAN)
11 TEATIME  EMIT (issue) A ET (Spielberg film) reversed
12 GOLF  FLOG (hit) reversed
13 TIDDLYWINK  TIDDLY (little) WINK (facial gesture)
15 ENRAPT  RAP (talk) in ENT (hospital department)
16 ATHEIST  AT HEIST (armed hold-up)
20 STIRRUP  R (radium) in STIR UP (excite)
21 MASALA  hidden in ‘roMA SALAd’
24 GRANNY BOND  d&cd
26 STOP  POTS (saucepans) reversed
28 EGOTIST  EG (for example) *(ITS TO)
29 MADEIRA  MADE (forced) IRA (Irish revolutionaries)
30 DITHERED  THERE (in that place) in DID (acted)
31 BEAGLE  dd

1 SHINGLES  H (heroin) in SINGLES (individuals)
2 SMELL A RAT  *(LET ALARMS)
3 IMAM  IM (I am) A M[uslim] &lit
5 UP-TO-DATE  dd
6 HEAVY METAL  dd
7 REIKI  hidden in ‘creatuRE I KIss’
8 CREAKY  *(CAR KEY)
9 AD LIB  *(DIAL) B[efore]
14 APPRENTICE  I C (one chapter) in *(PETER PAN)
17 STARTLING  [ra]T in STARLING (bird)
18 SUNBATHE  *(HEAT BUNS)
19 WARPLANE  WARP (buckle) LANE (road)
22 AGREED  A GREED (a keen desire)
23 GNOME  *(MEN GO)
25 ADOPT  AD (advantage) OPT (make a choice)
27 IDLE  homophone of ‘idol’ (god)

7 Responses to “Financial Times 13,045 / Moodim”

1. Octofem says:

Typo at 16 down, Geoff? Still checking , you see!!

2. Octofem says:

Sorry – 16 across. I’m not really awake it seems!

3. Gaufrid says:

Thanks Octofem, now corrected.

4. smiffy says:

Congrats on a very restrained diagnosis Gaufrid – you’re a better man than I am. Agree wholeheartedly with the brickbat for 14D and the bouquet for 19D. However, to bastardize Oscar Wilde:

“To use one of the most hackneyed clues in crossword history (6D) is unfortunate, to use two (3D) seems like carelessness”.

5. Gaufrid says:

Hi Smiffy
    ‘Restrained’ only because if I had commented on every clue that that I wasn’t entirely happy with, or that I thought was far too easy, it would have taken me twice as long to write the blog and I didn’t think the puzzle justified the extra time that would have been spent.

I appreciate that there must be some easier puzzles to encourage newcomers but there should be a limit to the simplicity of clues and I think this one fell below it in many cases.

6. John in USA says:

In 20A How is radium R? The chemical symbol is Ra.

7. Gaufrid says:

Hi John

You are right. I overlooked this when completing the puzzle though in my defense it has been over 40 years since I studied chemistry at school.

I wonder if there is a misprint in the clue and ‘radium’ should have been ‘radius’ which would give R rather than Ra?