Financial Times 13,046 / Io

Posted by Gaufrid on April 8th, 2009

Gaufrid.

Well, this one was different! Some very liberal cluing of definitions in places and a lot of cds. Some of the surfaces seemed a little odd on first reading but with hindsight I think they are in keeping with the overall quirky nature of the puzzle. On another day I might have had more quibbles but the sun is shining, the birds are singing …..

Post Script: Whilst solving the puzzle I had question marks against quite a few clues but on further consideration during the preparation of this blog I have come to the conclusion that the majority were unfounded if one is prepared to give the setter a little latitude.

1 POP THE QUESTION  cd
10 Y-MOTH  hidden in ‘mY MOTHer’
11,2 GOING DOWN ON ONE KNEE  cd
12 AGE WELL  EG (say) reversed in *(WE ALL) – faulty clue, no containment indicator or ‘back’ should have been omitted
13 NUTTERS  *(ENTRUST) – poor anagram indicator, either ‘doctors’ should come before ‘entrust’ or it should be ‘doctored’
14 YONGE  homophone of ‘young’ – Charlotte Mary Yonge
16,27,9 IS SHE IS OR IS SHE AIN’T MY BABY  cd
19 BEET SUGAR  A GUST (a blow) reversed in BEER (ale)
20,28,5 STATE OF THE UNION  cd
22 AMNESIA  cd
25 NO DOUBT  *(BOUND TO)
29 YES AND NO ANSWER  *(WAYNE SANDERSON)

3 TE-HEE  TEpEE with ‘p’ changed to H
4 ENGULFING  *(LEG IN FUN) G (good)
6 SIGHTLESS  *(THIS LEG) SS (ship)
7 IN ONE  I (1) NONE (0)
8 NON-USER  *(NEURONS)
15 EAST SHEEN  *(SEE ATHENS)
17 STRONG TEA  *(TARGETS ON)
18 STATUETTE  U (uniform) E (echo) T (time) T (time again) in STATE (20)
19 BEATIFY  BEA[u]TIFY
21 ESTHER  THERES (yonder’s) with ES moved to the front
23 NOSES  no ‘ses’ in ‘session’ gives ‘Sion’ (Jerusalem)
24 ALIEN  A (one) LIEN (right)
26 DROSS  hidden in ‘gournoD ROSSini’

5 Responses to “Financial Times 13,046 / Io”

Hi Gaufrid

Hmm: very quirky, as you say! I agree with your reservations re 12, 13ac and, I suspect, several of the others you originally had!

I’m puzzling over the need for ‘that’ in 21dn and ‘elusively’ in 29ac.

Can Y moth really be said to be ‘hidden’ in ‘my mother’?

Having said all that, I did enjoy it, in a bemused kind of way!

2. Tyro says:

I didn’t do this but 16 etc. jumped out at me from the page. As a Louis Jordan fan, I know there’s no such song. Sloppy!

Yes, Tyro, that was one of my other reservations but I thought I must be wrong. I see now that I wasn’t and it really is ‘Is you is…’

4. kurwamac says:

Because of the way I catch up with puzzles, I’ve just done this one. It was fun and did crack fairly easily, though I was held up for a bit by the idiosyncratic substitution in the title, which with all the liberal will in the world can’t be justified, as far as I can see.

5. John H says:

Thanks K. It was aimed at a certain person, with (deliberate) misquote.

Io.