Azed 1923/Pinch my tallywhacker!

Posted by ilancaron on April 12th, 2009

ilancaron.

Did this at work in my copious free time — which wasn’t much so I’ve left a few questions behind.  The 12 letter perimeter words were all compound words.

1 PINCH,COMMONS – serves miserly portions. Ref. House of COMMONS.
10 O,VERT,ONE – VERT is the greenery where deer like to take cover.
12 SO,B,A – a very Japanese noodle.
13 STROBE – it’s a flasher but wordplay? “Flasher? Bore in the middle lacking a garment”
14 TRET – hidden: “an allowance to purchasers of 4lb on every 104lb for waste”
15 ROCH(ELL)E – ELL (a measure) in ochre* and ref. ROCHELLE-powder.
16 FA(CON)NE – FANE is obs. flag and FACONNE is a patterned fabric.
18 VELE[ta] – Veleta is valeta is a dance. VELE is archaic veil”.
21 AWELESS – (SE Wales)*
23 MA(TIS)SE – rev(sit) in (‘as me)*
25 CO(C)O – it’s a palm and COO is crumbs in the exclamatory sense.
26 [w]IN(VITE)E[s] – VITE for “quickly”.
28 N(OONT)IDE – OONT’s a camel and NIDE’s a nest, thus “den”.
31 PRUA – which is a Malay boat — but I don’t see how this works: “Loot for pirates? It may give me strife”.
32 IN,DO,OR – OR is our tincture (of gold) — and barbecues are invariably held outdoors.
33 TAAL – initialism and is almost an &lit (since it archaically means Afrikaans) – “initially” isn’t needed in the definition unless it’s taken to mean “once upon a time”.
34 POSTICHE – a wig. Wordplay?
35 TALLYWHACKER – (Clark, wealthy)* – another name for your roger or your what’s it — at least, if you’re a man.

1 POST-FEMINIST – (if it’s men tops)* – ref. Germaine Greer.
2 NE(BE)CK – it’s a prickly plant.
3 CRA(TON)IC – TON in CRAIC (crack) — I wasted lots of time hazarding TECTONIC here early on.
4 CORONAS – hidden: daffodil trumpets.
5 MET,H[a]VEN – somewhere or other in Scotland where Robert the Bruce lost a battle.
6 MUR,E – rev(rum=strange). I think the definition refers to the wall of a glacier which a snout can be.
7 OBO,L – ancient part of a drachma and an OBO is an oil tanker.
8 NO(BLESS)E – BLESS in one*
9 SHEEP-STEALER – a Jacob is a kind of sheep so the definition makes sense… the wordplay though? “Bruce’s incredible girl (acc. to Rev. William) runs off with e.g. Jacob?”
11 TOR,N – wordplay?
17 ANAC(ON[e])DA – ON[e] in Canada*
19 ELLIPTIC – write a clue for this!
20 I,S(O,TO)PY
22 W(END)ISH – it’s an obscure Saxon language.
24 Y-TRACK – Y- is a common archaic prefix denoting “that” and a Y-TRACK, as the Y figuratively indicates, is used to reverse train engines.
27 VENT – two meanings: one is archaic market.
29 ODA,L – ODA is a room in a harem and ODAL is Orkneyese for not having a feudal superior.
30 NO?L – NOLL, NOUL, NOWL all mean top of head, namely, the crown… but… wordplay? “Crown, historically – or its sworn enemy (to some)?”

16 Responses to “Azed 1923/Pinch my tallywhacker!”

1. C.G. Rishikesh says:

Re 13a: my reading:
    Flasher? – def
    Bore – SAT
    in the middle lacking a – S(a)T
    garment- – ROBE

2. Phi says:

31 is PROA – comp. anag. PROA STRIFE = FOR PIRATES

3. Phi says:

Oh, and 9 – Rev. William is our old friend Spooner, so Bruce’s incredible girl is a steep Sheila. The def is verbal – Azed has said that ‘”barks and is man’s best friend” would be an acceptable definition of DOG.

4. C.G. Rishikesh says:

34 POSTICHE – a wig. Wordplay?

If you’re asking for the wordplay, here it is (after a process of thinking, thumbing through C, thinking…)

POS(TICH)E

TICH- a very small person. I knew ‘titch’ and came here from there

POSE – place – I knew ‘posit’ and came here from there

5. liz says:

Thanks for the blog.

re 34: I read this as ‘A little one’ – TICH, ‘kept in place’ – POSE.

Didn’t get PRUA or YTRACK (for which I guessed STRACK). And don’t know which NOLL, NOUL or NOWL it is, though I guess it might be NO + something.

6. DFM says:

It’s NOLL. Old Noll is a nicknmae for Oliver Cromwell. I only tracked this down via Brewer’s. This clue gave several regular solvers a problem. Naughty Azed! Happy Easter everyone (and do have a go at my IOS 1000 today!).

7. PaulD says:

33 ac. I don’t see what you finid wrong with “initially” – [t]he [A]frikaners ([A]frican [l]anguage)

6 d. Snout was a character in A Midsummer Night’s Dream and played a wall.

11 d. But which end of town, T or N?

8. ilancaron says:

33A: Nothing wrong with the wordplay in which “initially” has a role — I was wondering whether the definition included “initially” (to be an &lit).

9. bof says:

28A I took this to be OONT I inside (DEN)*

10. MartinR says:

DFM, #6: NOLL – ah, that’s it! Thanks for that – once again, I never thought to reach for Brewer’s, so had the one gap in the grid. I had such a great clue for ELLIPTIC too … oh well.

11. Robin Gilbert says:

I got the Noll/Cromwell reference. But why “Crown HISTORICALLY”? There is no suggection in Chambers that this is an obsolete or archaic usage (which would be noule or nole).

I realized in the end (and after I had submitted my entry) that, in 9, “The def is verbal” and that “Azed has said that ‘”barks and is man’s best friend” would be an acceptable definition of DOG”. (I had assumed that “eg Jacob” was the definition and that it referred to the Bible story of Jacob’s dubious dealings with Laban’s flocks and thus didn’t understand “runs off with”.) Does anyone find Azed’s justification of this device as grammatically inconsistent as I do? I seem to remember that he wrote something to the effect that a verb clause is to be regarded as acceptable on the ground that it “INDICAT[ES] the noun that COULD be its subject”. Why in that case is an adjectival or adverbial phrase not acceptable on the ground that it INDICATES the noun to which it COULD be in apposition? Yet I’m sure Azed would never accept, say, “in Tibet” as a definition of Llasa.

12. bridgesong says:

Well, I got NOLL without the need to look anything up, but was completely fooled by Y-TRACK and, like Liz guessed STRACK without understanding how it could be justified. In my defence, RACK is an old grating, but I don’t think that TRACK is, so I still don’t see how the wordplay works.

Does anyone else share my doubts about PROA? I worked out the compound anagram, and clearly pirates in that area (Malaya) might use a proa for their looting, but where is the definition? I don’t think it really works as an & lit.

13. MartinR says:

#11: on “historically”, perhaps that is to be read as “… historically [or] its sworn enemy …” to imply an historical figure?

#12: YT is an abbreviation for “that”.

PROA: the clue appears to imply the boat is the loot, which is tangential to say the least.

14. Geoff Moss says:

Bridgesong

The wordplay for 24d is YT (obsolete word meaning ‘that’, ie ‘that old’) RACK (grating).

15. Robin Gilbert says:

On 30dn again (“Crown, historically – or its sworn enemy (to some)?”), Martin suggests that “historically” might govern “its sworn enemy”. If that is the explanation, it seems extraordinarily clumsy for one as meticulous as Azed, with a dash and “or” in between, and arguably even a case of unfairly misleading punctuation, when what is meant is “- or, historically, its sworn enemy”. And why is “(to some)” necessary? It seems to me that the clue would be perfectly sound, and much neater, as “Crown – or its sworn enemy?” The reference is a bit obscure, it’s true, but the longer version printed doesn’t alter that.

16. MartinR says:

We seem to have a choice: either it was a very clumsy clue, or Azed made an error in assuming NOLL was archaic.

“(to some)” seems not to have a function, however you interpret the clue.

A duff clue, unless someone has some inspired insight?