Guardian 24,680 – Orlando

cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

Thank you, Eileen,  for chipping in yesterday while I was away on a holiday trip to Indonesia. Orlando’s puzzle today is almost like a Saturday FT puzzle, entertaining and a bit challenging. But it has to be, seeing that his FT handle is Cincinnus

ACROSS
1 SUBSIST Cha of SUBS (subscriptions or advance payment) I ST (one street/way)
5 COURAGE A rare triple definition clue. There is a beer in UK trade-marked Courage. Bottle is also slang for courage and finally Mutter Courage und ihre Kinder (Mother Courage and Her Children) is a play by Bertolt Brecht
9 TALES Les contes d’Hoffmann (The Tales of Hoffmann) is an opera by Jacques Offenbach. It was first performed in Paris, at the Opéra-Comique, on February 10, 1881. I venture to say the “call heard” can be an allusion to “Heads or tails”
10 TARNISHED *(threads in)
11 APPLE TREE cd Jonathan is a variety of US apple
12 ELSIE ELSI (Rev of Isle of Man) E (eastern)
13 KRILL KR (first and last letters of kipper) ILL (wretched)
15 ANCESTORS *(set acorns) old people in a family tree; this got a chuckle from me
18 ANTIPASTO Cha of An Tip As To
19 LOEWE A novice is a learner. Take away the a and you get Lerner, the partner of Loewe. This musical duo’s (not as famous as Gilbert & Sullivan or Oscar & Hammerstein) best claims to fame were My Fair Lady, Gigi and Camelot
21 RASTA *(a star)
23 BLUE PETER Cha of BLUE (down) PETER (fisherman as in Jesus’s disciple)
25 POLE VAULT Cha of POLE (European from Poland) VAULT (cellar)
26 NORTH ha
27 ARTISTE (Arthur Blakey ( 1919 – 1990), born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Aka Abdullah Ibn Buhaina, was an American jazz drummer and bandleader) IS TE (first and last letters of talkative)
28 EACH WAY Simple cha

DOWN
1 SETBACK Cha of SET (group) BACK (support)
2 BALLPOINT Cha of BALL (globe) POINT (aim)
3 ISSUE dd
4 TUTORIALS Ins of U (university) in *(Rita lots)
5 CIRCE Circle (group) minus L (left)
6 UNIVERSAL dd
7 ASHES Arthur ASHE’s (old tennis player, winner of three Grand Slam titles including Wimbledon in 1975)
8 ENDLESS Cha of END (goal) LESS (not so many)
14 LIPSALVES *(a vip sells)
16 CROQUETTE Cha of C (cold) ROQUETTE (aka rocket, a cruciferous salad plant)
17 OVERTHROW To bring down a wicked regime is to over-throw that regime… but spare seat cover escapes me unless it is a slang term for one of those cushions
18 AGRIPPA Cha of A GRIP (a strong hold) PA (first and last letters of Phrygia)
20 EARTHLY *(Hartley) but I do not understand “Chance”
22 SPLIT dd – Yes, the largest coastal city in Croatia is named
23 BRUTE Cha of BRUT (dry as in wine) E (first letter of eyes)
24 PANIC Ins of A Ni (a nickel) in PC (police constable or cop)

23 Responses to “Guardian 24,680 – Orlando”

1. C G Rishikesh says:

A “throw” is (what I learnt during a US visit) a piece of fabric that is spread over a sofa or bed in order to improve appearance as well as to protect it from dust. C has this def.

2. C G Rishikesh says:

Re 20: When we have no chance whatever, we say “we stand no earthly chance”. Now ‘earthly’ has prob. become a noun in itself.

Welcome back, Uncle Yap, and thanks for the blog.

Right on both counts, Rishi. We now have ‘throws’ in the UK, too, and ‘spare’ = ‘over’. And ‘earthly’ is in Chambers as an informal noun in the sense of ‘chance’.

Pedants’ corner: ‘not so many = less’! No! – but ‘not so much’ would not suit the surface, of course.

4. mhl says:

Oh, I didn’t realise I;d lost my slot this week. I’d nearly finished the blog for today as well… :(

I liked TUTORIALS and ANCESTORS here in particular.

5. mhl says:

Never mind, Gaufrid explained by email what happened. It’s my own fault for not paying more attention to the rescheduling :)

6. Ian says:

I think “Doesn’t stand an earthly” is common enough now, Eileen. Not surprised it’s made it to Chambers.

I didn’t find this Orlando too difficult. Managed to do it without filling it in (sometimes necessary on the London Underground!), which is normally a party trick reserved for Rufus, Gordius, Rover, etc., the more “friendly” end of the setters team.

7. smutchin says:

Thanks for the blog, Uncle Yap. I found this fairly straightforward but there were a few I couldn’t fully grasp – eg 9a, which is obviously a homophone but I didn’t get why tails=call. Clever clue and thanks for the explanation.

Although it wasn’t hard, there were some really neat clues with elegant, seamless surface readings – 13a, 23a, 27a, 5d, 16d, 23d. Nice.

And some clever cryptic definitions – agree with you Yap that “old people in tree” (15a) is particularly lovely.

I was going to quibble about earthly=chance, but if Chambers says it’s OK to use earthly as a noun…

Re 5a – Courage is strictly a brewery (or was) rather than a beer. I suppose technically these days it’s a brand name. Fine to call it a beer as far as the clue is concerned, though.

8. Harley26 says:

on 9ac i think that call=tails is fine – a reference to what one ‘calls’ when flipping a coin, i.e. heads or tails.

9. liz says:

Thanks for the blog, and for explaining 27ac, which I got without understanding why. I thought it was something to do with Blake the artist!

I enjoyed this — as others have said, lots of neat clues and not too hard, although Elsie tripped me up.

10. liz says:

Forgot to say that I thought 19ac was pretty fiendish. I was trying to make something of LEHAR for a while.

11. Paul B says:

I’d heard of Oscar Hammerstein, but not Oscar *and* Hammerstein. Until today, that is.

Great puzzle, astutely blogged.

12. Tom Hutton says:

What is the question mark doing in 19ac? I think it is unnecessary or, even worse, misleading.

13. Paul B says:

Novice not a partner of this composer?

Presumably because the SI for the clue leads to LE(a)RNER, Loewe’s partner, rather than the required word. The solver needs to be alerted in some way, and as is traditional, the ole q.m. gets another run-out. I was quite interested by that one (he said, trying to remain unambiguous).

14. smutchin says:

Liz, my first thought was of Blakey from On The Buses!

15. sidey says:

I thought of the metal segs hammered in leather soles and heels to prolong their life. http://www.penninecastings.co.uk/m_blakey.htm

Goodness, Sidey, I haven’t heard of them for decades and had forgotten all about them – but knew the name [not the one provided by Uncle Yap, I'm afraid] rang a bell! [I got the answer to 27ac by working out the last four letters and I already had the initial A.]

17. rightback says:

I misparsed “Novice not a partner” as L + O EWE (no ewe), thinking a ‘ewe’ might be a slang term for a wife. Right answer, wrong route. Thought ‘call’ = ‘tails’ was a bit stretched, but maybe that’s just because I didn’t know the Hoffmann reference. Liked ‘chance’ = EARTHLY and 23ac.

Rightback, that’s a really ingenious explanation of 19ac: thanks for the smile. You’re right – the inclination to take ‘novice’ as L was irresistible: this may well be the first time that L has actually indicated ‘learner’! I think this may have been my favourite clue.

I’d like to bet that, if you found a youtube rendering of the Barcarolle from ‘The Tales of Hoffmann’, you’d recognise it – in spite of yourself! Otherwise, a ‘call’ of ‘heads or tails?’ is surely OK?

Sorry – my thinking above sort of leap-frogged itself. I think you’ll know what I meant: we see novice / student and immediately think ‘L’. I should have said,”This may be the first time that ‘novice’ has actually indicated ‘learner’”.

20. Arthur says:

I think 19ac is a great clue. I seem to remember Araucaria doing something similar in reverse which lead to Lerner (but I don’t remember if it was via “learner” or “low”…). I really enjoywd 17dn too.

21. Paul B says:

I thought it quite difficult, due to the fact that ultimately it relies on general knowledge rather than a pure SI solve. Nevertheless, why not.

22. liz says:

Difficult, yes, but a great clue.

23. Joachim says:

‘spare seat cover’ is cha, I think: over = spare, seat cover = throw.