Independent 7,027 by Phi

Posted by Simon Harris on April 24th, 2009

Simon Harris.

A typically high-quality Friday Phi, I think. The SE corner put up a bit of a fight for me, but apart from that it all went in fairly steadily.

8 ENTREATS – EN[-d] + TREATS.
9 EXILED – [-v]EXED “about” IL.
10 TINY – [-mu]TINY.
11 OBEDIENCE – ONCE “about (BE + DIE).
12 MESA – SAME*.
14 GUINEA PIGS – (USING PAGE + I)*.
15 RICHES – R + (ICES “having snatched” H).
16 JEWELS – JE + SLEW<.
19 COMMANDANT – (M + MAN + AND*) “lying in” COT.
21 SPIT – TIPS<. I guess this is “spit” as in “an elongated…strip of sand or shingle projecting from the shore”?
22 BALLOONED – BOD “swallowing (ALL, and “later” ONE).
24 POSH – OP< + SH.
25 CRISIS – CR + ISIS.
26 TAILSPIN – TAILS + PIN.
1 ENGINEER – (E + NE’ER) “accepting” GIN.
2 X-RAY – X + (Man) RAY.
3 MAYO – MAY + O? I can’t explain “day, one avoided” for O, though.
4 ASTERIA – (I STARE)* + A.
5 RETIREMENT – (TIRE MEN) “during” [-sec]RET.
6 KIDNAPPERS – AND< “tucking into” KIPPERS. I thought this was very nicely done.
7 SEA EGG – (A + EG) “consumed by” (S + EG). As was this one.
13 ACCOMPLISH – (CLAIM + CHOPS)*.
14 GREENHOUSE – (GEN “that’s included” RE) + HOUSE.
17 SWIMSUIT – ((W + I + M) in SS) + [-q]UIT,
18 GARNETS – (A RN) “brought in” GETS.
20 OSBERT – (OS + BET) “about” R[-ace].
23 DRIP – D + R.I.P.
24 PESO – [-th]OSE P[-eople]<.

8 Responses to “Independent 7,027 by Phi”

1. IanW says:

“Ex marks the spot”. I presume that’s because the cross in the centre meets 4 “treasures”?

2. NealH says:

The only explanation I could furnish for 3 down was that it was May 10, which is fairly late Spring, with the 1 dropped. But I wasn’t very convinced by it.

3. NealH says:

I think you’re slightly wrong with 2 down – I think it’s actually X + RA (Royal Academician) + Y.

4. Simon Harris says:

You’re right Neal, I think I didn’t even read to the end of the clue in my haste to write that one in!

5. C G Rishikesh says:

Re 3d: I tried hard to work out the wordplay but never did see and went to bed. At one stage I did consider we had probably to delete 1 from 10 to get O but was not sure how to get 10 because having decided that late Spring gives May, I didn’t know how to get 10 from ‘day’.

6. Phi says:

Ian W

Spot on. You wouldn’t believe how few 7-letter gems begin with A. What do we pay mineralogists for, after all?

7. GWEP says:

Simon

12ac is SAME (“unchanged”) with parts – SA and ME – swapped, giving MESA; not an anagram.

8. GWEP says:

For “swapped” read “switched”.