Independent 7,030/Radian

Posted by Ali on April 28th, 2009

Ali.

Radian’s certainly developed a fairly unique and often fairly tricky style in his short time as an Indy setter, but I’m a fan. There’s some nice stuff here. There’s a kinda theme too I think, with the word AND (or a variation on A N and D appearing in an awful lot in the answers.

1 WANT ADS – WAN,TADS – A very nice clue
5 ADMIN – D in (Idi) AMIN
10 ANDIRON – 1 in DR, all in ANON
11 SCANDALC and A in [-o]SL[-o]
13 GERMINATED – (GERMAN DIET)*
14 DARN – DAR[-wi]N – The subtraction here is a touch ambiguous I think
15 HEATHLAND – (Ted) HEATH,LAND
17 HANDS – Hidden in healtH AND Safty, although I’m not sure where the indicator is here
18 NAIAD – A in N[-eed],AID
20 ANDALUSIA – (A,SAL[-m]A[-g]UNDI)*
22 LUCY – LUC[-k]Y
23 IDLE-HANDED – LE (loose ends) in I’D HANDED
26 RWANDAN – (DARWINIAN)* less all the Is
27 ABDOMEN – B[-ombay] in (MOANED)*
29 ADMAN[-br]ADMAN
26 ADORING – (DORIAN)*,G[-ray]
2 ANDORRA – AND,ORRA –
3 TARNISHED – (DRAT SHINE)*
4 DONNA – No idea on this. Clue is ‘Verdi lady joins e-mobile’
6 DEAN – Hidden in maDE A Name
7 INDRAWN – WARD rev. in INN
8 CARGO HANDLER – ARGO in CHANDLER
9 ASCENDED – Odd letters of AlSaCe,ENDED
12 LONG-STANDING – LONG + STANDING
16 ABANDONS – ON in A,BAND’S
17 HOLLANDER – HOL,LANDER – Hague as in ‘Den Haag’
19 INCHARD – (RANCH I’D)*
21 SIDEMAN – NAMED IS rev.
24 ELAND – Last part of MatabelELAND, &lit.
25 EDNA – E,D.N.A

11 Responses to “Independent 7,030/Radian”

1. conradcork says:

4d. There’s an aria in Verdi’s Rigoletto called ‘La Donne e Mobile’.

2. conradcork says:

Sorry ‘Donna’. Must stop using that stuff, it blurs your vision. :-(

3. IanW says:

“And” or anagrams (of DNA?) appear in ALL the answers, except Lucy.

4. nmsindy says:

In HANDS, I think it’s not hidden but is using abbreviations of Health and Safety. Strange puzzle, noticed A in every answer and lots of ANDs and, then as mentioned above, no A in Lucy, which threw me. Is there something more behind it all that I’ve missed?

I suspected from the less than 50% checking in the top and bottom rows, there would be a theme.

5. nmsindy says:

PS in 12 I think it’s LONG (STAND) ING stand = partnership (cricket) in longing.

6. Gaufrid says:

I parsed 17a and 12d in the same way as Nmsindy.

It is interesting that 22a is the only answer not to contain a combination of AND. It could easily have been changed to LAND with 19d becoming INNYARD then all answers would have been alike.

I am wondering if Lucy was used so that she didn’t feel excluded when Dan featured so prominantly. Incidentally, A N & D also appear in the setters name.

7. IanW says:

Perhaps his real name is Dan Air, and his partner, Lucy, contains no DNA?….

8. Radian says:

Nice one Ian, though my memories of Dan Air are not good – too many dodgy landings?!
    You’re nearly there. Everyone contains a random mutation of DNA except our common ancestor Lucy of Olduvai Gorge fame – in whom it’s taken for granted – oh, and her identical twin Edna.

9. eimi says:

Here’s Lucy:

She’s not much of a looker, but at least she doesn’t have Edna’s specs

10. mhl says:

damn, I was literally seconds too late in posting about that Lucy. I guessed that the joke might be that she was a missing link, though.

Thanks for a very entertaining puzzle, Radian, and Ali for the helpful post.

11. Radian says:

Ta Eimi for your correction: Lucy’s stomping ground was apparently Ethiopia, not Olduvai. That’s in Tanzania.