Financial Times 13,055 – Dante

cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

Since I started highlighting the almost impossibility to read the clues in the on-line FT, there has been no improvement. As I know Dante always takes a peep here when his puzzle is blogged, perhaps we can get him to prompt the power-that-be in FT to improve visibility.
The ordeal to make out the clues in recent times have caused me to abandon solving the FT unless I have to blog

ACROSS
1 MASHIE Cha of MA’s (well qualified people) HIE (run)
4 KNICKERS Sounds like nickers (thieves)
9 AIRBED cd
10 ADVOCAAT dd; a liqueur containing raw eggs and flavourings; a medicinal drink of eggs, rum or brandy, and lemon-juice.
12 PULLOVER I wonder how one classifies such a clue. It is indeed a garment and pulling over is something that one does after a boat ride.
13 SKATER *(streak)
15 EDIT Rev of TIDE (I suppose ‘time and tide wait for no man’)
16 DRAWBRIDGE cd and cha of DRAW (attract) BRIDGE (game)
19 TIGHT-LACED dd
20 TSAR TS A (Rev of A St, holy man) + R (Rex or King)
23 CASTRO &lit C (first letter of Cuba) A *(sort)
25 QUARTERS dd
27 ONESIDED Pretty self-explanatory
28 CORNER cd
29 FIRM HAND Cha of FIRM (company) HAND (employee)
30 BRIDLE cd

DOWN
1 MEAT PIE *(I meet pa)
2 STROLLING Ins of ROLL (go round) in STING (pain)
3 ICE-BOX Not a very cryptic def
5 NUDE cd
6 CROCKERY Cha of C (note) ROCKERY (garden feature)
7 ENACT ha
8 SET FREE dd
11 HEARSAY Hear and say (ways of learning a language, for example)
14 SWEEP UP cd
17 DISCERNED *(rescinded)
18 STARFISH *(has first)
19 TICK OFF dd
21 RESERVE dd
22 ARBOUR (h) arbour
24 STEER Cha of ST (street or way) E’ER (poetic for ever)
26 HEWN *(when)

7 Responses to “Financial Times 13,055 – Dante”

1. Andrew K says:

Agree. The Guardian has by far the best website for crosswords- legibility, PDF facility, archive. Other newspapers take note!

2. Rufus says:

Sorry Uncle Yap, but I download my published FT puzzles for my records and have complained several times to the crossword editor about the paucity of the reproduction making it almost unreadable. Colin works at home and tells me he has nothing to do with the on-line copies. He always passes on my queries, but nothing seems to improve.

3. Rufus says:

P.S. Following Uncle Yap’s problem of classification, above, of clues, I wonder whether I may bring up a clue I used recently in the Telegraph. Expert crosswordman Peter Biddlecombe wondered about it on the DT website. The clue was “Magician’s spell” for the solution TRICK. My idea was that black magicians may use a SPELL and performing magicians (12 years of my life!) use a TRICK. With SPELL=TRICK (as in a trick at the wheel) I thought it almost a CD. A friend – a regular Gdn solver – thought it would be acceptable with a question mark at the end – “Magician’s spell?”.
    So I wonder if (a) is this a viable clue, and (b) if so, how would one classify it?

4. Jake says:

I agree also, the FT uses GIF files which do not print well and the text in not legible.

Rufus, could you please recommend the FT editor to change over to JPEG (hi-res) or PDF, it would make a lot of people happier.

Very nice puzzles though.

Thank you for your art Sir.

5. Agentzero says:

Uncle Yap,

The resolution could certainly stand improvement, but I find it to be readable if I print the puzzle so that it occupies a full page.

In case anyone has not worked out how to do this, the way that I have found is to right-click in the middle of the puzzle and “save picture as” a file to, say, My Pictures. Then go to My Pictures, right-click on the file name, and choose “print.” This (on my computer, at least) launches the Microsoft Photo Printing Wizard, which steps you through the printing process and lets you choose, among other things, a “full page” print. Because the .gif picture of the puzzle is generally wider than it is long, this option will print the picture in landscape view (i.e., it will turn the page sideways so as to allow the picture to be expanded to a greater degree).

It’s still blurry, though, and there’s no question a pdf would be better.

At the top of my wish list would be a pdf printing option for the Indy, since I much prefer solving on paper (which I can then do on the train) to using the crossword software.

6. Agentzero says:

Rufus,

I like your clue (although I might have found it difficult because that sense of “trick” is completely new to me).

I would have understood it as follows: a performing magician often purports to be using a spell (e.g., waving his hands and saying “Abracadabra!”), but is in fact using a trick.

One could classify it as a d&cd — a double definition, of which one of the definitions is cryptic.

7. Rufus says:

Uncle Yap, Jake and Agentzero, many thanks. Have passed on all suggestions to FT crossword editor. Thank you to Agentzero for classifying my clue!