Independent 7032 by Nimrod

Posted by nmsindy on April 30th, 2009

nmsindy.

Hard as Nimrod usually is, solving time, 58 mins. Very hard to break into, but seeing 1 down was a breakthrough helping with the LHS of the grid.

Never systematically counted but Nimrod’s puzzles may have more anagrams than most but can be very well concealed.

* = anagram < = reversed

ACROSS

8 KNUCKLE SANDWICH (lunch kicks and we)* The surface was very cleverly misleading and I’d pencilled in ‘chicken’ as a possibility from the letters in what looked like anagram fodder. The definition is simply ‘punch’.

Chickens were to crop up elsewhere tho…

9 THROW-IN TH(e) ROWIN(g)

10 TH (INK) ER(e)   Melancholy poem by John Milton

11 H AGAR   Glad the wordplay was easy here so I thought it might be this.  Post-puzzle Googling reveals a comic character Hagar the Horrible so it’s nothing to do with the OT character mentioned in Collins.

12 CE (NTIPE) DE   (inept)* in CEDE = give

13 NI(TRAT)E   tart in ein (all <)

15 EM ERSED    des re(s) me  (all <)

16 AM (MON IT) ES    Not gone back to check that old cricketer Ames who I remembered from previous puzzles, but think he’s from quite a while back

17 THE IC(e)

18 INTEGER   (genre it)*

19 SHUTEYE  (yet he us)*

20 ELECTRODYNAMICS    Cryptic definition using ‘current’

DOWN

1 SURROGATE MOTHER  (gets the armour or)*

2 SKEWER   Double definition

3 JEAN(s)   strides = trousers (originally from Oz, I think)

4 EAST ENDERS   (seat)*    For non-UK readers, this is a BBC TV soap

5 ADD (IT) IV E   (David)* and E number

6 SICKNESS BENEFIT    Cryptic definition

7 CH (ARLES D) ICKENS   (LSD are)*

8 KITCHEN CABINET   Guessed this from definition – it’s linked to previous clue  (bitten a chicken)*

12 CHESTERTON   (to trenches)*

14 A (BNE) GATE   (ben)*   agate = stone

17 TOU CAN   “Two”

19 SOYA   (Say o)*

7 Responses to “Independent 7032 by Nimrod”

1. NealH says:

I started well on this, but got a hung up on the idea that 7 down and 8 down were anagrams of each other as kitchen and chicken seemed to be so close.

I thought 6 down was a bit weak. The interpretation involving invalid as sick seemed too obvious, so I decided it must be the name of some test or tribunal that involved assessing the authenticity of something.

2. Testy says:

9a I read THE ROWING as being indicated by just “Boat Race” and hence wondered how “day” was supposed to indicate e and g.

12a I didn’t think that “divers” (meaning several) was justified as an anagram indicator. I’d be happy with “diverse” (meaning different, varied, multiform) but clearly that would destroy the surface. However, I now notice that an archaic meaning of “divers” means the same as “diverse” so I guess it’s perhaps OK. But to me, using something so archaic just succeeded in making it arcane.

8d I couldn’t fathom at all, not being able to make the chicken connection. This seems to me to be an extreme version of an indirect anagram. Indicating the anagram fodder indirectly by “Runaway” would be one thing but indicating via an oblique reference to another clue is a bit much. In fact it’s an indirect indirect anagram.

14d does “stoned” fairly indicate “inside a stone”?

3. Ali says:

Well I’m glad I wasn’t down to blog this one! Took me a good 5 minutes to crack a single clue and then made very slow progress, sticking in quite a few answers without being 100% sure on the wordplay. I always struggle with Nimrod’s cryptic definition clues.

Very glad to have discovered the word THEIC though, which I’ve never come across before.

4. Testy says:

That reminds me. I still don’t properly understand 17a.

5. NealH says:

Something along the lines of the ic(e) has been reduced, so polar bears can’t get as much food and are therefore thinner. Bit of a Nimrod special, that one, I think.

6. Mick h says:

I think the ‘e’ calved away from the ic shelf!
    9ac was particularly devious as ‘lunch’ and ‘punch’ could each have been either definition or part of anagram fodder. I got SANDWICH so assumed it must be a kind of lunch, but that left me with KNUCKPE.

7. nmsindy says:

Because of my lack of familiarity with the feeding habits of polar bears, I decided not to venture any further after I’d noticed the possible end deletion of THE IC(e)…