Independent 7,034 by Nestor (Saturday Prize Puzzle, 02/05/09)

Posted by Simon Harris on May 8th, 2009

Simon Harris.

I think this is the first time I’ve blogged a Nestor. It was jolly good either way, with inventive but solid clueing and some impressive long anagrams. DOGEY was last to go in, and required a bit of a rummage through Collins. EJECTA and MACKEREL SHARK were also new to me but the wordplay led the solver to the answer very well indeed.

5 HUMPBACK BRIDGE – (CK “in” (PB + ABRIDGE)) “after” HUM.
9 UNFREEZE – UNFREE + Z[-imbabw]E.
10 DOGEY – (YE GOD[-s])<.
11 GAYEST – GAT “has” YES “included”.
12 EMMENTAL – E[-gotis]M + MENTAL.
13 MACKEREL SHARK – (ERE “being embedded in” CHALKS*) “dividing” MARK.
16 AGGRIEVE – (RAGE GIVE)*.
18 REFUSE – REF + USE.
20 RETIE – [-ch]RETIE[-ns].
21 TRANQUIL – RAN + (QUILT “whose end moves to the head”).
22 MARKET RESEARCH – (K + ETRE + SEAR) “in” MARCH.
1 PHANTASMAGORIA – (A TRIP HAS A MAN GO)*.
2 ABSENTEE – SENT “in” (A BEE).
3 IBIDEM – I’M “about” BIDE.
4 VIRGINIA – (IR + GIN) “entering” VIA.
6 MARGE – dd.
7 CREME DE MENTHE – CRE[-w] + ME + (DEMENTE[-d] “about” H).
8 GUY FAWKES NIGHT – (EGGY TUNA FISH)* “around” WK.
14 CARETAKE – CARET + (A KE[-y]).
15 SCREAMER – (SCAR MERE)*.
17 EJECTA – (JET “around” C[-rater]) “in” EA.
19 FAQIRFAQ + IR.

5 Responses to “Independent 7,034 by Nestor (Saturday Prize Puzzle, 02/05/09)”

1. nmsindy says:

Yes, some excellent clues as always from Nestor who has a very individual style. I missed DOGEY which is, as you say, in Collins.

2. Allan_C says:

Nothing too difficult here. I knew porbeagle to be a type of shark but it took a while and some checking letters to get the mackerel.
    I had to guess DOGEY in the end; Chambers only has it as “dogy” or “dogie”.
    How many solvers were fooled into putting a U under the Q of 21a and then found it wasn’t needed when they got to 19d? (assuming that like me they do a first pass of all the across clues followed by the downs)

3. Duggie says:

Does anyone feel slightly diddled by a puzzle with only 22 clues, especially at the weekend when we’ve got more time?

4. Allan_C says:

At risk of going off-topic, I don’t know about feeling diddled, Duggie, but you prompted me to look at the grid again, and I’ve realised that it’s one of those rare (to me, anyway) beasts in which all the lights have unique numbers. I can’t remember when it was that one last appeared in the Indy, but on that occasion if I recall correctly the clues weren’t separated into acrosses and downs.

5. eimi says:

I think you might be thinking of Phi’s advent calendar, last year, Allan. I think Nestor’s puzzles often have unique numbering. He’s also going for quality rather than quantity and, with my crossword editor’s hat on, I’m certainly not complaining about not having to trim any clues to fit the space.