Independent 7041 by Glow-Worm

Posted by NealH on May 11th, 2009

NealH.

*=anag, []=dropped, <=reversed, hom=homophone, CD=cryptic def, DD=double def

Some nice clues, but also one or two I thought were a bit hard to decipher (especially 16 across).

1 Pass round the hat: CD based on Panama hats.
9 Carafe: Hidden, reversed in “brief a racehorse”.
10 Twenties: (newest it)*.
11 Sevens: Even in s[emifinal]s. I think sevens is a variant of Rugby, although it may be other things as well.
13 Airstrip: Air + s + trip.
14 Tropic of Cancer: Topic around R[ouen] + (co France)*.
16 Slap on the wrist: “Naughty, naughty – it should be on the face!” Not entirely sure how to interpret this one. It’s a sort of CD, although there’s no clear-cut definition of the answer. Possibly the hyphen is meant to signify a missing expression as in (“naughty, naughty, slap on the wrist”), although I’d have preferred something a bit more obvious. The second part refers to make-up (also called slap derisively).
19 Tone down: Didn’t follow this – “Moderate distance from A to B ? Quite the reverse”. Moderate is the definition, but don’t understand the rest.
20 Settle: Double def (Settle is a town and presumably parliamentary seat in Yorkshire).
22 Stealing: Sing around teal.
23 Storey: Store + [polic]y.
24 Armed to the teeth: I think this is (Meet the horde at T)*, where presumably T can be an abbreviation for Troy in the sense of Troy weights.
2 Amateur: T in Rameau*.
3 Stake: DD.
4 Ode: Hom. of “owed”.
5 Not half: DD.
6 Tiebreakers: (Arbiter seek[s])*.
7 Estate car: Race< after (a test)*.
8 Atelier: Hidden in “frigate lie rusting”.
12 Sociologist: Solo around IOC* + gist.
15 Place Name: (Nepal came)* + &lit.
16 Stouter: T[id]e in Stour.
17 Tonight: Tot around nigh – very nice and rather cute clue.
18 Salient: (At lines)*.This was very tricky unless you’d heard of the Ypres Salient, as the natural assumption was that the anagram was “at Ypres” or ry after ypres*
21 T bone: Tone around b + hom. of stake.
23 Sue: [Is]sue.

5 Responses to “Independent 7041 by Glow-Worm”

1. C. G. Rishikesh says:

19d: If we think music, we see how it works, I think.

2. Gaufrid says:

Hi Neal
    19a If you go from A to B on the musical scale you go up a tone. ‘Quite the opposite’ indicates the reverse ie ‘tone down’.

I think 20a is a triple definition:
    ‘Take up residence’ = settle
    ‘in Yorkshire’ = Settle (the town)
    ‘seat’ = settle (a long, high-backed bench)

3. Rick says:

Found this hard to get into though I may just have been suffering a mental block as when I did get going I got about half fairly quickly.

I’m not really sure what ‘Stake’ has to do with ‘Martyrdom’. I guess you can get burnt at the stake? Or staking someone could cause them to suffer… Seems a little fuzzy to me. Hmm… Wheres that dictionary…

4. Colin Blackburn says:

Chambers has this to say on STAKE:

a post to which someone condemned to be burned was tied (history);
    hence, death or martyrdom by burning

5. Shirley says:

I solved this one online quite late last night due to all the bother at home, and perhaps I was NOT IN THE MOOD, but I couldn’t get comfortable with the way this setter writes. That’s not my general experience with Indy puzzles, as anyone who reads my rather amateurish contributions will know.

One thing I do know is that Troy does abbreviate to T in Chmabers, for one dictionary, so I agree with Neal it’s how ‘armed to the teeth’ worked.