Financial Times 13,074 / Armonie

Posted by Agentzero on May 12th, 2009

Agentzero.

What a pleasant, if not difficult, solve.  No complaints here!

1 STIMULATION T (time) in SIMULATION (replicated environment)
7 CUP C (about) UP (finished)
9 SCOFF SC (special constable) OFF (turned, in the sense of food going bad)
10 IMPORTUNE IMPORT (bring in) UNE (a, French)
11 ENACTMENT *(TNT MENACE)
12 ADOBE AD (notice) OBE (decoration)
13 SLEIGHT homophone of SLIGHT
15 SHIP S (Bob, as in shilling) HIP (joint)
18 FARO FAR (extremely) O (old)
20 CONCEDE N CE (new church) in CODE (regulations)
23 ADORE AD (hoarding) ORE (foreign coin)
24 LARGHETTO *(GOT LATHE)
26 DESPERADO *(DOPE READS)
27 DROWN R (Romeo) in DOWN (drink)
28 RAT R (monarch) A T (a kind of bone).  “Defect” as a verb.
29 DISAFFECTED *(DECIDE STAFF)

1 SUSPENSE US (American) P (president) in SENSE (appreciate)
2 IDOLATER I D (figure, as in Roman numeral) O (out) LATER (in time, as in “don’t bother me, I’ll get it done in time”)
3 UNFIT F (fellow) in UNIT (detachment)
4 ALIMENT LIME (fruit) in ANT (social worker).  This word was clued as an anagram in the Guardian a few days ago
5 IMPETUS *(ITEMS UP)
6 NARRATION ARR (arrival) in NATION (people)
7 COUPON COUP (masterstroke) ON (feasible) I liked this one
8 PEELER dd, from the old nickname for a policeman derived from the name of Robert Peel
14 GRAPESEED APES (primates) in GREED (longing)
16 SEA TROUT SEAT (cause) ROUT (defeat)
17 RENOWNED RE (soldiers) N (Norway) OWNED (retained)
19 ORLEANS O R (operational research) LEANS (banks)
20 CART OFF CAR (vehicle) TOFF (swell)
21 PANDER AND (a joiner) in PER (person)
22 CORSET COR (French horn) SET (collection)
25 HEDGE H (hard) EDGE (trim)

5 Responses to “Financial Times 13,074 / Armonie”

1. nmsindy says:

Pleasing puzzle, as you say. Not quite sure, but wonder if in 2 down ‘figure out’ = ‘do’

2. Agentzero says:

Nmsindy, I thought about that as well, having in mind phrases like “figure out the puzzle.” But I ultimately thought that in those contexts “do” really just means “complete.” Chambers has “complete” among the definitions of “do,” but nothing more closely approximating “figure out.”

3. Gaufrid says:

Hi Agentzero
    Sorry, but I have to agree with Nmsindy on 2d. I also parsed it as ‘do’. None of the standard references support o=out (not even in cricket terms because o=overs). However, one of the definitions for ‘do’ in Collins is “to find an answer to (a problem or puzzle)” which surely equates to ‘figure out’.

4. Agentzero says:

Thanks, Gaufrid. I only have Chambers, not Collins–this must be one of those occasions where they differ–but based on your quoted definition I am sure you are right.

5. John in USA says:

16D Why SEAT = cause? I see no overlap in the definitions in Collins. Otherwise I found this puzzle unproblematic.