Independent 7042 by Nimrod

Posted by nmsindy on May 12th, 2009

nmsindy.

There’s a Nina here which I refer to after the clue explanations. Solving time, 36 mins.

* = anagram < = reversed

ACROSS

1 VIR(A)GO The clue wording at first suggested the other way around i.e that the answer would be a sign, but I think it’s permissible.

5 WI (SH BO) NE Nimrodian touch here, for sure.

9 L OUR Not prophetic re the paper, I hope

10 SPILL I (KIN)S

11 ADMIRATION Clue splits at I/wonder i(one) in (at random I)*

12 RAPT Hidden reversal

13 D RAT

14 LIGHT METER cf might litre

16 IDOLATROUS (louis d’or at)*

18 COL (mountain pass i.e. up) A

20 MYNA “miner” down under = underground, nothing to do with Oz

22 L (E.G. P) ULLING good play with ‘composing’

24 INTERTIDAL (inertia ltd)*

25 BRIO Hidden reversal

26 READIEST (steadier)*

27 TURN-ON in cryptic terms turn = reverse ‘on’ gives ‘no’

DOWN

2 IN ORDER Double definition Brothers (religious)

3 AIR P (IS TO) L (April)* is to = will

4 OSSIA (Oasis)* A musical direction for alternative

5 WAITING FOR GODOT Samuel Beckett play (Don’t go to war if GI)*

Seeing this early on from the enumeration, letter count in the clue, and the definition ‘show’ helped me with this puzzle.

6 SPLE(h) NITIS (Sit-in elps)<

7 BAKER Alternate letters of Blackberry

8 NON (UP)LE (Lennon)* less one of its ns i.e. nameless

14 LITTLE TOE Excellent cryptic definition – counting on toes

15 EX C (A LIB) UR

17 DO (YEN) NE done = over

19 LENT (I G) O A freckle from a 1960s song where Jennifer E rhymes with freckles

21 A HEAD

23 UN (L) IT

NINA: WAITING FOR GODOT in the centre column, two characters from it, VLADIMIR and ESTRAGON in the outermost columns. When there were about 5 letters of each, I saw this, which helped me finish the puzzle.

10 Responses to “Independent 7042 by Nimrod”

1. Mick H says:

Good stuff. I spotted Vladimir and Estragon after I’d done the puzzle, then waited in vain for Pozzo to show up.
    Re 19 dn, the song’s from the Scaffold’s Lily the Pink – for those who don’t know it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lily_the_Pink_(song) or even http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x8D4T–0v4

2. Al Streatfield says:

In the clue to BAKER, “every now and again” cannot, in my opinion, be an indicator for alternate letters. It means “irregularly”. What is needed is a word meaning “regularly”.

3. Al Streatfield says:

Also don’t particularly like “show” as a definition for “Waiting for Godot”. I was thinking of a musical… WFG is about the last play I would think of as a “show”…

4. Mick H says:

It’s at the Theatre Royal Haymarket, it must be a show now!

5. Shirley says:

I think I can accommodate Mr Al Streatfield’s comments and say that I enjopyed this hard puzzle. Good to have a ‘Nina’ as we so often find in The Indy, and it really helped me today.

Al, you did make me smile, conjuring up your image of an all-singing, all-dancing Beckett production. Perhaps some theatre group, somewhere, someday, will find a way tro do it!

6. NealH says:

Sadly, 14 down defeated me when I put “little one” instead of “little toe”. Little one=tot seemed reasonable and, as I’m a computer programmer, counters are often sequences which increment in ones. In retrospect, perhaps that’s why the “very” was there. It was doubly annoying because I thought of “ltd and interia” as the anagram for 24 across but it didn’t work because of the o. Maybe one day I’ll complete a Nimrod without messing something up…

7. Richard says:

Many thanks, Nimrod, for an excellent crossword, made more readily soluble (but not easy) by the presence of the Nina.

8. Colin Blackburn says:

Nightmare for me. I also managed to enter LITTLE ONE and I even misspelt METER as METRE (even though at the time I had the right spelling in my head!) On top of that I couldn’t work out the anagram to Oasis since OSSIA is new on me. And I missed the Nina. Bah!

Regarding Al’s first comment, I did consider the non-existent singular ACKER as a potential solution, blACKbERry, thinking it very Araucarian!

9. Al Streatfield says:

OSSIA is one of about five words (others are SPLENITIS, SPILLIKINS, NONUPLE and LENTIGO) that I wouldn’t use in a daily on the grounds that they are too obscure in this context.

10. Al Streatfield says:

Who are “Richard” and (the rather misprint-prone) “Shirley”?

Doesn’t “Name (required)” mean more than first names, which look in these cases like an attempt at disguise…?