Guardian 24,700 / Arachne

Posted by Andrew on May 15th, 2009

Andrew.

I found this mostly quite easy (especially in comparison to Arachne’s recent Monday puzzle), though with a few slight obscurities that I needed to check. Several very nice clues where the cryptic structure is well hidden.

Key:
dd = double definition
* = anagram
< = reverse

1. SHADOW CABINET dd
10. RUN INTO RUN IN + TO – “Brief” applies to “transport officer”, with just “Encounter” as the definition.
11. DERANGE ER in DANGE(r)
12. NURSE dd
13. GELIGNITE GE (Germanium) + LIGNITE
14. BY FAR B(o)Y + RAF< – again the definition is well concealed
16. DYSPLASIA (DISPLAYS A)* – I didn’t know the word, but it was fairly guess from the anagram and a few checking letters
18. NICOTIANA (CIA NATION)*
19. ROPES Hidden (“quarantined”) in caiRO PESthouse
20. HOUSEWORK dd
23. CARER CAREER less E
24. RAMADAN DRAMA* + A(ttract) N(otice). I don’t much like the hyphen here – it could be omitted without spoiling the surface.
25. OFF PEAK OFF + PEAK
26. ANIMADVERSION DAMIAN* + VERSION. I’m sure we had “animadvert” not that long ago.

2. HONORIFIC (OF CHOIR IN)*
3. DENSE DEN(i)SE
4. WRONG (s)W(o)R(e) + O + NG
5. ANDALUSIA A SUNDIAL* A
6. IRREGULAR I + A LUGER< in RR (Rolls Royce)
7. ENNUI E NUN* I
8. FRONT BENCHERS FRONT (face, verb) + BENCHERS
9. GENERAL STRIKE GENERAL’S TRIKE – this was the first answer I got. “1926 crisis” leapt out at me and the wordplay quickly followed.
15. ROTTERDAM ROTTER + DAM
16. DRAGOONED (GORDON A)* + ED (Balls). Like a Private Eye clue! Using “A” for “first” as part of the anagram fodder is a bit suspect. As Gaufrid points out, it’s probably A= “first about”
17. SUPERHERO SUPER + HERO. There’s a Hero in Much Ado About Nothing.
21. UNMAN UN (dialect for “one”) + MAN, and “cow” (verb) is the definition
22. KRONE Hidden in (yemEN OR Kuwait)<
23. CUFFS Sergeant Cuff appears in the Moonstone by Wilkie Collins.

17 Responses to “Guardian 24,700 / Arachne”

1. Gaufrid says:

Andrew
    16d “Using “A” for “first” as part of the anagram fodder is a bit suspect”

I parsed this as ‘first about’ giving the first letter of ‘about’ which is then part of the anagram (reshuffling) with ‘Gordon’.

To be pedantic, you can’t ‘reshuffle’ something unless it has been shuffled previously :-)

2. Andrew says:

Gaufrid, you’re probably right – but I think “first about” for “first letter of about” is also a bit suspect :-)

3. Geoff says:

Thanks, Andrew.

Found this one straightforward but entertaining, with good variety of clues, some of which were nicely misleading. I spent some time trying to make 26ac out of (CENSUREDAMIAN)* before realising my mistake.

Re 23dn, the Sergeant in Wilkie Collins’s ‘The Moonstone” is CUFF; hence the ‘apostrophe s’ in the clue is indicating a genitive construction rather than a contraction of ‘sergeant is’.

4. Andrew says:

Thanks Geoff, Sgt Cuffs was a typo which I’ve now corrected.

5. Dave Ellison says:

Mostly straightforward, and enjoyable. I struggled a bit with the bottom quarter, because (on the bus) I had carelessly written NICOTINIA for 18ac.

What a pity about 6d: I guessed irregular and noticed it was almost an anagram of Guerrilla; just need to change L to R. Perhaps “Guerrilla changes sides?”

6. smutchin says:

Re 5d – I worked this out easily enough from the anagram of A SUNDIAL but I don’t understand how you get the extra A from “showing afternoon” – anyone?

7. Andrew says:

Smutchin, I think it’s just A = afternoon (I believe this is a common crossword abbreviation, but I can’t verify it at the moment), with “inaccurately showing” being the anagrind.

8. Gaufrid says:

5d ‘A’ as an abbreviation for ‘afternoon’ is in Chambers.

9. smutchin says:

OK, fair enough – thanks for the explanations.

10. liz says:

I also had NICOTINIA for a while, then corrected it. But I never got past trying to make an anagram out of CENSURE DAMIAN.

11. John says:

Whatever Chambers says I don’t like “a” for afternoon any more than I like “ng” for no good.

12. dagnabit says:

Thanks, Andrew. Does “ED (Balls)” in 16d refer to the politician? If so, I’ve never seen this in a crossword before and was wondering if it was of fairly recent vintage.

I too was trying for the longest time to make an anagram out of “censure Damian”…

13. Polecat says:

Geoff, re 23dn

If the Definition is “way of dealing with naughty boys?”
    then CUFFING might be a more suitable solution, even with
    a question mark.

Any thoughts on this interpretation of the clue using
    deal = inflict (a blow) on someone?:

The Susidiary Indication could be CUFF has S(way)
    and the Definition could be “dealing with naughty boys?”,
    the question mark indicating that “dealing” refers to the
    series of blows inflicted by the sergeant.

14. dagnabit says:

Polecat – yes, I think this interpretation would work.

15. John says:

Re 23 dn I thought the allusion was to handcuffs rather than the illegal smacking of juvenile offenders.

16. Polecat says:

Thanks Dagnabit and John for your comments.

17. stiofain says:

last weeks alphabetic too tough to blog?
    stiofain