Everyman Crossword No. 3267 (May 10)

Posted by C G Rishikesh on May 17th, 2009

C G Rishikesh.

A couple of clues with parochial references (see 23 ac, 7 dn) put me off, but otherwise an enjoyable puzzle. I liked 1 ac especially.

1 OTHELLO – THE (the), LL (lines) in O O (old,old)
5 LATE CUT - I know this cricket term from commentaries that I have heard; ‘snick’ gives ‘cut’. The rest is not clear to me. (On edit: See comments below.)
9 A STUDY IN SCARLET - A (a), STUDY (room) + SCAR (Mark) in INLET (bay) – false capitalisation in Mark for the sake of surface reading
10 OPENER – double def. – key/cricketer receiving the first ball; in surface reading ‘key’ is adj. meaning ‘important’
11 SCORNFUL – C (cold) in SORNFU (anag.of ‘of runs’), L (lake).
13 LOOSENED UP – anag. of ‘opened soul’
14 TROY – O (ring) in TRY (attempt)
16 IOTA – hidden in ‘CyprIOT Airport’
17 PEDESTRIAN – double def. commonplace/on foot
20 SVENGALI – anag. of ‘sang live’ – Solved from wordplay. Googling, I find this is a music album. So I don’t know how the def. ‘musician’ fits. (On edit: See comments below)
21 CRISIS - CR(credit), ISIS (Egyptian goddess)
23 CAERNARVONSHIRE – anag. of ‘a version rancher’
24 SATIATE – A(a), T(tenor) in SATIE (French composer)
25 PUNGENT -GEN (dope) in PUNT (speculate)

1 ON A ROLL – The def. is “enjoying continuing success”. I see AR, rev. of RA (soldiers). But the rest of it just eludes me. (On edit: See comments below)
2 HIT BELOW THE BELT – anag. of ‘we tell the hobbit’
3 LADDERED – ADDER (snake) in LED (guided)
4 OMIT – hidden in ‘frOM ITaly’
5 LOST CAUSES – anag. of ‘outclasses’
6 TEA URN – anag. of ‘nature’
7 CALIFORNIA SUITE – California (suburb of Ipswich), SUIT (to please), E (English)
8 TOTALLY – TO (to), TALLY (match)
12 PETER LORRE – R in anag.of ‘rep, ET role’
15 STARTS ON – TARTS(flans) in SON (boy)
16 INSECTS – IN (in), SECTS (groups)
18 NASCENT – N.A. (North America), SCENT (fragrance)
19 AGENDA – GEN ( information) in A (a) DA (American lawyer, abbr. for District Attorney)
22 HOOP – O (round) in HOP (dance)

12 Responses to “Everyman Crossword No. 3267 (May 10)”

1. Everyman says:

20A Svengali is a musician in George du Maurier’s ‘Trilby’
    1D OR (other ranks) inside LLANO (plain), all reversed

2. C. G. Rishikesh says:

Thanks very much, Everyman.

3. Andrew Kitching says:

I’m sure ‘A Study in Scarlet’ was clued recently, but as an anagram

4. C. G. Rishikesh says:

Andrew:

You’re probably having in mind the clue

Satanist crudely drawn in book (1,5,2,7)

which was featured some weeks ago. I am unable to give the Everyman crossword number as I solved it in the Indian avatar of the crossword.

The same anagram fodder might have appeared elsewhere too.

5. Gaufrid says:

Rishi
    5a preceding = late as in former

6. C. G. Rishikesh says:

Achcha. Thanks, Gaufrid.

7. samhill says:

25a Why does DOPE = GEN?
    Thanks

Sam

8. Gaufrid says:

Samhill
    Both mean ‘information’.

9. samhill says:

Thanks Gaufrid, that’s a new one for me!

10. C. G. Rishikesh says:

Sam:
    I have since corrected the careless typing error in my blog.

11. C G Rishikesh says:

Please ignore my Comment #10.
    There was no error in my blog.
    After I saw Sam’s message I scrolled up and looked at 19ac and thought I had written GEN (information) instead of ‘dope’. Only later I realised that Sam was referring to 25ac where we have GEN (dope).

12. Tom Johnson says:

It has been many years since CAERNARVONSHIRE has been the acknowledged spelling of this county. I spent my childhood holidays in NEVIN in CAERNARVONSHIRE, but nowadays it would be NEFYN in CAERNARFONSHIRE.
    Can Everyman provide a currently used reference to his spelling?