Independent 7,051 by Phi

Posted by Simon Harris on May 22nd, 2009

Simon Harris.

A fairly straightforward one for the most part, I think, although I did have to resort to a bit of cheating to finish it off completely, and there’s a couple (17 and 22) where the wordplay eludes me for the time being.

1 JEEP – JE + EP.
4 ANTECHAPEL – (THEN PALACE)*.
9 BACK NUMBER – dd.
10 RUBY – RUB + [-zlot]Y.
11 DOORBELL – (BORDELLO)*.
12 ABLAZE – A B + LAZE.
13 FACADE – ([-paint]ED A CAF[-e])<.
15 RAKEHELL – (K “amongst” ALL HERE)*. An unfamiliar word for me, and I suspect others, but the anagram and the checking letters led the solver to the answer very well.
17 AFFECTED – “one managed to strike base”.
19 ORRERY – (Y + ERROR)*. The “system” in question being the solar system.
20 QUASAR – QUAR[-k] “around” (A S).
22 PALATIAL – “a Spanish aunt covered by shroud”.
24 KNOB – [-wal]K[-man] + NO + B.
25 ANNO DOMINI – AN + NOD + O[-utlaw] + MINI.
26 PAUL REVERE – PAUL + REVERE. One of several possible Beastie Boys references I’ve noticed in Phi puzzles. Coincidence?
27 SEXY – YES< “receiving” X.
2 ERATO – [-oth]ER AT O[-once].
3 POKER FACE – (POKE RACE) “about” F.
4 AMUSEMENT ARCADE – (AMATEURS MENACED)*.
5 TABULAR – TAR “absorbing” (A BUL[-l]).
6 CARNAL KNOWLEDGE – (GWENDOLEN + CLARK + A)*.
7 APRIL – AIL “besetting” PR.
8 EMBEZZLER – EMBER “with” [-pu]ZZLE “penned”.
14 AFFLUENZA – A + F + (FUN + ZEAL)*.
16 HARD TIMES – (THIS DREAM)*.
18 DA PONTE – OP< “held [back] by” DANTE.
21 SIBYL – IS< + BY + L.
23 ANNEX – (AN EX) “accepting” N.

10 Responses to “Independent 7,051 by Phi”

1. Gaufrid says:

Hi Simon
    17a A (one) [e]ffected (managed to strike base) – base = e as in logarithms

22a A TIA (aunt, in Spanish) in PALL (shroud)

2. Ray Folwell says:

17 A + [-e]FFECTED
    22 A TIA “covered by” PALL

If I’m not mistaken, this is pangrammatic.

3. NealH says:

I wondered how we’re supposed to know the Spanish word for aunt, but perhaps we’re meant to know it from the drink Tia Maria. I quite enjoyed this and was pleased to finish it. It had a lot of the sort of slightly obscure things (Sibyl, Paul Revere etc) that I usually struggle with.

4. Phi says:

Paul Revere is an unconscious reference, I think, to my discovery that David Del Tredici had set the poem, moving on from his riotous settings of Lewis Carroll. Haven’t heard the piece yet (the backlogs of CDs and books that I have…), but that doesn’t stop it infiltrating the consciousness.

I dimly recall the Beastie Boys as some sort of pop group with a fetish for car logos (or a particular car logo). I suppose they must be still around, as everyone (except Abba) seems to be reforming or startling people by still touring. I don’t go in for such obscure musical references myself.

‘Tia’ I use occasionally, and precisely because of Tia Maria. Tio Pepe never quite persuades me about Tio, though…

5. Mike Laws says:

I think references to foreign words, provided they are flagged as such, are perfectly acceptable. I’m reminded of an old clue by the late Alf Adams (Ad of the Listener and elsewhere) “Side seen once in Madrid (6)” [E-E-E-]

6. AMB says:

Must be ELEVEN!

I’m told by the wife of an American colleague that the fun for Independent solvers continues well into the holiday weekend. Some kind of syndication deal makes it possible for some buffs to access the puzzles up to a week early! I’ll wait, like a good boy.

7. pennes says:

bit of a late post, i put the puzzle aside as i couldn’t do the last clue 26 a, paul revere; just found the puzzle under pile of papers. i didn’t know that paul revere was a beastie boy and i think it more probably refers to the paul revere who rode his horse across america disseminating the news that the civil war had started

8. Simon Harris says:

I think that you might be right, pennes.

“Paul Revere” was actually the name of a track that the Beastie Boys recorded, rather than a member of that band. Phi’s memories of them are correct, although I would stress that the Beastie Boys are neither obscure, nor reforming, since they never really went away :)

9. Bob Morgan says:

As every pedantic student of American history knows, Paul Revere (26 Across) rode to spread his warning that “the British are coming” during the American War of Independence – not the American Civil War.

10. Bob Morgan says: