Azed 1929/Sunday 17th May

Posted by John on May 24th, 2009

John.

A regular Azed plain, which means of course that there are some very nice clues, as well as one or two that I’m not quite sure about. I’m away this Whitsun weekend, so won’t be able to comment on anyone’s comments until late Monday at the earliest.

1 LITHONTRIPTIC — lit (rich pint to)*
12 DOO-DOO — I’m not 100% sure here: it seems to be that doo is the Scottish version of dove, which appears in the Twelve Days of Christmas (two turtle doves), and this appears twice; but if so then ‘number two’ is doing double duty (ho-ho) as an indicator that ‘doo’ appears twice, and also as the definition, something that most people would never allow, so perhaps something else is going on
13 MIRTH — (h trim)rev.
14 PENK{nife}
15 GLABRATE — labra in (teg)*
16 PACK AGED
20 CUS{hat}CUS{hat}
21 Z(IN)E{n} — this is the sort of clue that has made Azed’s reputation, with a quite brilliant use of ‘circles’ as a verb
22 IN {Ti}G{er} OT, in being as in golf and ot being (to)rev. — under ‘wedge’ in Chambers is ‘(obs) an ingot of gold or silver’
23 garDENErs
24 Z(ON{e})ING
28 PRI(MAT)AL
30 NO(LI{ve})TION
31 LYRA — 2 bits of wordplay: lordLY RAtions, (ary l)rev.
32 {s}EXIST — looks at first like a mis-spelling of ‘principal’, but the first definition of ‘principle’ in Chambers is ‘source, root, origin’
33 STUART — u for I in (traits)rev.
34 RA(DIES THESIS)T

1 LI(P PIZZA)NER
2 IDEATION — I den about (iota)*
3 HOK(K)U{m}
4 ODEA I think — o dea — if deus is god then you’d think dea was goddess, although I can’t find it in Chambers; plural of odeon
5 NOGGIN G
6 TO{i}LET
7 ROAD — both a course and a Shakespearean word for prostitute
8 IMBRU(T)E
9 PIRL — pool with I r for 00
10 TRANCEY — C in (art Nye)*
11 CHEESE PLANT — (sepal etc hen)*
17 DUNNARTS — un in (strand)rev.
18 AN(NELI{s})D
19 MI(NET)TE
20 CORINTH — (not rich)*
25 AFRO STyle
26 P ALAS
27 {I}N{d}I{a}’S {a}I{r}
28 PILS — l{out} in (sip)rev. — ‘at a loss’ = ‘out’ when accounting I think
29 MOUE — &lit., with s{ulkiness} being put out by mouse

6 Responses to “Azed 1929/Sunday 17th May”

1. liz says:

Thanks, John. I think in 12 ac the def is ‘number two’ or poo. When I was a child the euphemism was ‘number two’ for doo-doo, as opposed to ‘number one’, for wee-wee! I may be wrong and, if so, please forgive this scatological explanation!

I think you mean 25dn is FROST. I’m guessing it’s a reference to highlights, where hair is bleached.

I don’t follow your explanation for 28dn? I had this answer as the only possible, but still don’t really understand why. Thanks!

2. Andrew says:

Thanks John, and hi Liz : I agree with you about DOO DOO = “number two”.

In 28dn, just to expand John’s explanation, it’s L (LOUT less OUT) in SIP (=drink) reversed. Chambers gives “at a loss” as one of many meanings of “out”. The definition is “Lager” (not “drink” as one might suspect).

3. liz says:

Thanks, Andrew!

4. bridgesong says:

Thanks for the blog, John.

I also agree with Liz about “doo-doo”. It certainly made me smile. However, I don’t understand why the turtle doves (which are sent on the second day of Christmas) are said to be the immediate precursor of the partridge, which is sent on the first day. I think Azed may have misled himself because the lyrics of all the verses except the first list the gifts in reverse order.

At 4 down, I agree that ODEA must be correct. There is a question mark after “goddess” so perhaps it doesn’t matter if DEA isn’t actually correct Latin for goddess.

5. John says:

Yes, Bridgesong, in 4dn that must be it, the use of the word ‘odea’ being justified by the fact that there is a question mark.

I agree that 12ac refers to doo-doo, the child’s word for ‘number two’. No problem there; where the problem persists is, as I say in the blog, the apparent fact that ‘number two’ is doing double duty.

6. Chris Lance says:

The song says “… two turtle doves, /And a partridge in a pear tree.” So the (Scots) doo doo is as described in the song, and the “number two” is only doing single duty as the definition.