Independent 7,054/Radian

Posted by Ali on May 26th, 2009

Ali.

Thankfully not too tricky for the first day back after a long weekend, but a very enjoyable puzzle with an impressive number of “Q”s

1 QUACK QUACK – QUACK x 2, ref. ducks
6 GAZA – GA,ZA
10 ALLOWABLE – ALL,(A BOWEL)*
11 OAKUM – Not sure on this one – ‘Give us a ring back with money for old rope’
12 DEJA VU – (JADE)*,UV rev.
14 ROWAN – Double def.
17 PLUTO – Double def.
18 CURLICUES – U x 2 in (CIRCLES)*
22 UNDUE – UN,”JEW” (I think)
23 QUORN – Double def.
16 QUIN – QUI,N
18 CURIOUSER – CURIO,USER
19 URDU – RD in U x 2
20 SKEW – S,KEW
23 QUEUE – “Kew”
24 OVULE – (LOUV[-r]E)*
26 BAR-B-Q – “Barbie cue”
27 PORT – Double def.
28 EFFS – “Fs”
31 CUE – “Kew”, ref. snooker

10 Responses to “Independent 7,054/Radian”

1. IanN14 says:

…and all possible homophones of “Q”

2. nmsindy says:

I think 28 down is UFOS (alternate letters). Good puzzle, liked QUACK-QUACK and QUIN.

3. Mick h says:

Thanks for the blog, Ali. I think 28 down is UFOs (bUfFoOnS).

4. NealH says:

Oakum is (UK a o) reversed + m. We are the UK, although I think that must be a bit questionable in the case of the website, where presumably quite a lot of the readers are in other countries.

5. nmsindy says:

I think it’s fair for a UK publication to use UK = us, tho I’ll admit that I, like Ali, did not understand this one until NealH explained it in 4 above.

6. Colin Blackburn says:

In addition to a lot of Qs and Us (not just those accompanying the Qs) the grid is also pangrammatic.
    The homophone at 22a just didn’t work for me. I definitely pronounce the D in UNDUE even if there is an edge of a J in there.
    Otherwise an enjoyable puzzle made easier by the number of short entries.

7. Radian says:

Thanks for the blog and your comments. Just to say that this was intended as a whimsical celebration of Kew’s 250th birthday. Clues (36) had to be brief to fit, hence some less than eloquent efforts. Re comment 6: I rightly deserve this slap on the wrist for not following my instinct to avoid the deep waters of regional pronunciation.

8. les says:

Ali 21a seems to be missing
    CONQUERED R in QUEEN in COD

9. Telberts says:

Definition of 4d “umbra” in Chambers – “an uninvited guest who comes with an invited one.”
    Lots of references to Queens and Gardens.
    No subtext here then?

10. John McDonald says:

5 down is Queen (QU) in Cheered (encouraged) for chequered careers. ER in chequed doesn’t make sense.

John M