Financial Times 13,087 / Cinephile

Posted by Gaufrid on May 27th, 2009

Gaufrid.

It is not often that I would describe a Cinephile puzzle as pedestrian but I’m afraid this one did nothing for me, possibly because the surface of some of the clues made little, if any, sense. There was a minor literary theme and one light (24d) was used as part of the answer to two clues which is something I don’t remember seeing before. There is one clue (6d) that I don’t fully understand.

1 PURPLE  P (place) L (left) in PURE (unmixed)
4 ATHLETIC  *(LITHE) in *(ACT)
10 RECESSIVE  d&cd
11 THRUM  dd
12 DASH  dd
13 DISALLOWED  SALLOW (tree) in DIED (finished)
15 SEA LANE  SEAL (swimmer) AN E (a drug)
16 EMBODY  ME (setter) reversed D (daughter) in BOY (son)
19 AENEID  *(AN IDEE) – there appears to be two anagram indicators, ‘not fixe’ and ‘about’
21 ODYSSEY  [b]ODYS (corpse’s decapitation) YES (consent) reversed
23 DROP HAMMER  d&cd
27 LATER  hidden reversal in ‘RETALiation’ – ‘of your’ seems superfluous in this clue
28 SOAP OPERA  POPE (poet) in SOAR (fly) A
29 SHEEP PEN  SHE (female) EP (letter, epistle) PEN (writer) – the definition must be ‘about wooly jumpers’ but shouldn’t there be a question mark to indicate that the answer is something that goes round sheep?
30 SKATES  KATE (girl) in SS (liner)

1,3 PARADISE LOST  IS (lives) in A DELOS (Greek island) in PART
2 ROCK SNAKE  ROCKS (ice) NAKE[d] (nearly unclothed)
5,24,26 THE RAPE OF THE LOCK  *(KEEP HOTEL FOR CHAT)
6 LITTLE BOYS  cd – this obviously refers to the rhyme about ‘what are little boys/girls made of’ but what does ‘halted constituents with’ mean?
7 THROW  d&cd
9,8 DIVINE COMEDY  VINE (wine producer) COME (arrived) in DID (acted) Y[ear]
14 TAKE THE RAP  TAKE (accept) THERAP[y] (incomplete treatment) – ‘accept’ appears to be doing double duty as part of the wordplay and part of the definition ‘accept responsibility’
17 DISSIDENT  DISS (show lack of respect) IDENT[ity] (most of what one is)
18 EYEGLASS  EYE (look at) GLASS (barometer)
20 DEMESNE  ME (setter) S (‘s) in DENE (valley)
21 ONE DAY  dd
22,24,25 IDYLLS OF THE KING  *(FOLLY KNIGHTS DIE)

8 Responses to “Financial Times 13,087 / Cinephile”

1. Octofem says:

Hi Gaufrid. I was equally puzzled by 6d. Surely it is ‘snaps and snails’ in the poem, or’snips and snails’ in some versions? I wondered whether it had anything to do with the schoolboy creeping like a snail,unwillingly to school.Over to you!

2. Gaufrid says:

Hi Octofem
    There is some support on the web for ‘slugs and snails’, and also ‘frogs and snails’, but the most common appears to be ‘snips and snails’. However, I am still no further forward in parsing the rest of the clue.

3. Chris says:

Are Hal and Ted the little boys?

Bravo Chris!

The clue now makes perfect sense. [I kept wanting it to be, grammatically, 'with such constituents'].

5. Gaufrid says:

Chris
    Thank you. I think you may well be right as this would be a typical Cinephile ploy.

6. Bill says:

Hi Gaufrid

Sorry I’m late. Not only are Hal and Ted the ‘little boys’ but the list of constituants is ‘halted’ if it stops at ‘snails’. If my memory serves me aright doesn’t the list continue, ‘and puppy dog’s tails’? Rather a nice clue.

7. Wendy says:

I was taught the rhyme as being

Slugs and snails, and puppy-dogs’ tails,
    That’s what little boys are made of.

I wonder if the earlier reference to ’snaps and snails” could be the americanised version….?

8. Dreadnought says:

29a – I thought it was sheep pen for a long time but couldn’t work out why. I think simply it is something that goes about (i.e. encircles, pens in) sheep…