Financial Times 13,079 – Dante

cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

The clues on the FT on-line pages continue to be very legible, for which I am very grateful. Dante continues to amuse and titillate with his unique brand of simple yet slick teasers. My only grouse is that he tends to repeat the same device in a puzzle.

ACROSS
1 SECOND dd
4 EDUCATED *(cadet due)
10 MEMORANDA *(Roman made)
11 OGRES Ins of G (midnight or middle letter of night) in *(rose)
12 HOOK cd – remember the hook and eye device on clothings
13 SINGLES BAR cd
15 PROFUSE *(purse of)
16 TABLET *(battle)
19 HEIFER cd
21 VIOLENT *(novel it)
23 PERCENTAGE *(centre page)
25 ORAL (m) oral, M (Roman number for 1,000 described as large number)
27 HEARD I suppose you can call this a triple definition since I can make sentences with interchangeable words and yet retain the same meaning. He was found out/caught/heard telling a lie. He was tried/heard in open court.
28 HOLD TIGHT Cha of HOLD (keep) TIGHT (drunk)
29 TEMERITY Ins of MERIT (worth) in TEY (rev of yet)
30 TATTOO Another very inventive creation from Dante which can almost qualify as an &lit. If you were to see the top of a drum (percussion instrument), you will find marks from repeated beating. But I wwould classify this as a dd

DOWN
1 SOME HOPE If you remember that Anthony Hope wrote The Prisoner of Zenda about going-ons in a fictional country called Ruritania, then this cd clue and the classic, Land of hope (9) will be easy
2 COMMODORE Ins of OR (gold) in COMMODE (cabinet)
3 NORM Normal (usual amount) minus A L (a large number) I do not rate this clue as one of Dante’s best for many reasons. L, Roman numeral for 50 is called a large number and in this same puzzle, M for 1,000 was also similarly called (see 26Across). Using the same device more than once is considered inelegant by my moderator, Dr Brian Skinner. The word ‘usual’ is doing double duty as def and as fodder.
5 DRAUGHT This cd was my last answer and forced by the crossing letters and then I saw buried among many definitions in Chambers ‘the depth to which a ship sinks in the water’
6 CLOSED BOOK I suppose this is a dd and I wish Dante had not used bookie (which is 2/3 of the second word) but something like Ladbroke
7 THROB Quite a delightful cd especially if you are from the Far East where temples are the scenes of great annual events like the Taipusam in Batu Caves in Kuala Lumpur when hundreds will parade with skewers through their tongues, cheeks and other parts of their bodies. Or the Kew-ong-yar festival in Chinese temples where devotees walk across burning coal and perform other feats that defies rational explanations. Do come to Malaysia, Truly Asia
8 DESERT dd
9 ENTICE *(nice it) This is vintage Dante; a smooth clue so good that it can be eaten
14 OUTFIELDER cd of a cricket term. BTW, silly describes a fielding position very near the batsman
17 EYES RIGHT cd for the drill command when marching pass the main stand (where the VIP’s are)
18 STILETTO cd alluding to the sharp point which is sure to make an impression on the carpet when walked upon
20 RATCHET *(chatter)
21 VIGILS cd
22 UPSHOT Cha of UP (at university) SHOT (have a go)
24 REALM Cha of REAL (not fancied) M (many) This is the third time in this puzzle that M has been clued as a large number or many … maiden, Malta, first Malaysian, Muslims initially ?
26 ETNA Chestnut rev of ANTE (stake)

7 Responses to “Financial Times 13,079 – Dante”

1. Nathan Jesurasingham says:

Hi Uncle Yap

Thanks – a great blog as always.

For 9 down I had “incite” – this is an anagram of “nice it” and to “egg” someone on can be to “incite” them. However, I think “entice” is correct too. Can this be one of those circumstances where there are two correct solutions both of which do not affect the intersecting answers?

Like you, my last answer was “draught” for 5 down. I had never seen this particular definition for “draught” before.

Again, thanks for your blog. I always enjoy reading them.

2. Uncle Yap says:

Nathan, thank you for your comments. You are absolutely right about 9Down which should be INCITE being an anagram of @nice it@. I missed that which goes to show that I’m not infallible :-)

I have just noticed that the qwert keyboard in the UK has the “/@ interchanged
    from the one that I am so used to. But then this has a £ sign in place of the hex … hey where is the hex sign, the slanted two straight strokes across and two down which the American use as abbreviation for ‘number’ ?

3. Chunter says:

Hi Uncle Yap,

Here’s a page that will tell you all about Windows keyboard layouts.

On the Mac we in the UK have use alt-3 to get what we call the hash character.

Hello, Uncle Yap

I hope you’ve enjoyed your holiday.

I had a slightly different interpretation of 3dn:
    I don’t think ‘usual’ is doing double duty. Definition: ‘usual amount': NOR [= 'and not']+ M [large number].

[I really liked 20dn.]

5. Uncle Yap says:

Drat! I spotted my mistake vis-a-vis 3D in the first draft and corrected it. Alas this did not appear to have been picked up (or maybe I forgot to press the ‘save the update’ button.

Never mind, someone told me I must make some deliberate errors in the FT Monday blog or else nobody would come in. Right now this blog has more comments than the whole of last month put together :-)

Hi again, Uncle Yap

I did suspect that’s what might have happened [I know how easily it can!] because you mentioned ‘M’ having been used three times.

7. Rufus says:

Thanks for a fine and fair blog, Uncle Yap. Re the three Ms, I have to plead guilty as charged. Although I do check that my final clues should work, I need then to check the whole puzzle for things like this. Another slap on the wrist Roger! (Now you have 7 replies – is this a record for an FT blog?) P.S. Thanks to Eileen for NOR-M.