Posted by Ciaran McNulty on May 28th, 2009
A nice straightforward puzzle today, perhaps a bit more straightforward than most Thursdays. Quite a lot of anagram and straightforward charades.
* = anagram
“” = homophone
< = reversed
d.d. = double definition
c.d. = cryptic definition
1. EARLY DAY MOTION. YEARLYAD* + MOTION. Andrew Motion is the outgoing UK poet laureate. I guessed this before 8dn.
10. FINE. d.d.
11. OPALESCENT. PASTELONCE*.
12. MERLIN. Hidden in hamMER LINnet. I think the male name comes from the bird. I don’t like hidden answers like this where there are extraneous words.
14. LOLLIPOP. Are they noted for stickiness? Not very cryptic, though I may have missed something.
15. TRENDY. TR(END)Y.
17. ADVERT. d.d. I don’t think I was familiar with the verb sense of this.
20. ANATHEMA. A + THEMAN* + A.
22. RESULT. SETRULE*.
23. STONEMASON. c.d. unless it’s a clever &lit that I’m not seeing!
24. FERN. FE(R)N.
25. PRINCE CHARMING. “PRINTS” + CHARMING.
1. MANIFEST. IFNEATMS*
2. GLUE. E. ((j)UL(y)) G. <
3. ADJOIN. AD + JOIN.
4. IMPELLED. 1 MP + EL + LE + D.
5. STICKINESS. d.d.
6. BORNEO. BORNE + O.
8. YEARLY. Y + EARL + Y. Got this after guessing 1ac.
13. LIEUTENANT. Not sure how this works, a Lieutenant is one rank below a Captain so it might just refer to imminent promotion.
16. DREAMIER. IERRMADE*.
18. TOLERANT. RATTLEON*.
19. BARSAC. BARS + AC.
21. NATURE. d.d.
22. RUNWAY. RUN (a)WAY.
24. FAME. F + A.M. + E.