Independent 7056 by Nestor

Posted by nmsindy on May 28th, 2009

nmsindy.

An excellent puzzle from Nestor who I had the pleasure of meeting at Sloggers and Betters 5 in London last week. A bit easier than I expected – in particular I got some of the longer answers from the definitions. Solving time, 23 mins.

* = anagram < = reversed

ACROSS

1 CAVE AT (t) EMPT OR (other ranks i.e. not on commission). Got this straightaway from definition, literally ‘let the purchaser beware’ from Latin

9 TOOK SICK ‘not quite right in the mouth’ i.e. a near homophone of 10 which is TOXIC

10 T (OX)IC

12 OR IN O CO

13 A SHAN’T I

14 CHIL (D) L IKE IKE = President Eisenhower (1953-1961)

16 P (RAN) G

18 King MIDAS Greek mythology – everything he touched turned to gold, including his own daughter.

20 EDI (N BURG) H all reversed grub = tuck hide = leather Robin’s back = n (last letter)

22 ARMBAND (Bradman)* e.g. black armbands worn in mourning

25 TRIP OL(d) I

26 ALOUD “allowed”

27 MO (NOT) ONY logic circuit giving the opposite i.e. inverted

28 T (RIG ON) OME TRY

DOWN

2 Dan AYKROYD Unknown to this blogger, weak on films, so thanks Nestor for the straightforward clue (Hidden reversal)

3 EPITOMISE (emo pities)*

4 TIKKA Initial letters & lit

5 MAT C (H) UP mat = location for wrestling cup = trophy

6 T (EXA) N N (axe) T all < later books = New Testament. Definiition: from oil-producing state (adj)

7 ROCK IN (G) CH AIR

8 MODIFIED Mods from the 1960s, smart on scooters , in contrast to the Rockers

11 NONCOM BAT ANT

15 EXISTEN CE Definition = being (sixteen)* CE In the hexadecimal system (base 16), the letters A to F are used for the numbers 10 to 15.

So CE as a hexadecimal number = 16X12 + 14 = 206 as an ordinary decimal number. nmsindy’s familarity with figures, maths etc came in very useful here. Might mention in passing that in Listener series in the Times newspaper, 4 numerical puzzles appear each year, with the next being due this Saturday, 30 May.

17 AIRBORN E (iron bar)* e = third (letter) of steps

19 S (T AND T) O

21 B LISTER Three definitions

23 MAOR I (I roam)< Pa = Maori fort – I was familiar with that from ‘advanced’ puzzles

24 DU (MB) O Think ‘one with remedial education’ = doctor i.e. one who will cure i.e. remedy

7 Responses to “Independent 7056 by Nestor”

1. NealH says:

Very good puzzle. Thanks for explaining Maori – I guesed it must be some other meaning of Pa, but didn’t know what.

Dan Ackroyd is actually Dan Aykroyd. I know him from films like the Blues Brothers and Ghostbusters, but hadn’t realized he was Canadian.

2. nmsindy says:

Thanks, NealH, spelling corrected, transcription error.

3. Ali says:

Cheers for the blog Niall. I’m glad somebody found this easy! I made a good start, but then ground to a halt and spent 15 mins chewing my pen. Eventually knocked off all bar about 5 clues, though annoyingly missed the AYKROYD hidden reversal and am still not sure I understand the hexadecimal thing now.

Excellent puzzle though, just what I’ve come to expect (and enjoy) of a Thursday.

4. nmsindy says:

I said it was ‘a bit easier than I expected (from Nestor)’ which is not quite the same as saying I found it easy…

5. Mick h says:

Base 16? 16X12 + 14 = 206? Good job (for me anyway) the answer could be reasonably deduced from the definition! Cheers Nestor.

6. Peter Biddlecombe says:

A good tough challenge – as you expect when you see this pseudonym. Led astray by “try less time” = RY as a possible ending for 1A, so had to get it from slowly arriving checkers – never easy for something in Latin! Helped at 3D by not knowing about “emo” as a type of music – on looking back post-solve, I briefly thought “Nestor using made-up words for anag fodder? Tut tut!”, and then decided to look it up. Like Mick, I didn’t bother with the hex sums. Nor understanding “inverting circuit” in 27, which is good just for using “invert” with no reversal involved.

7. AMB says:

Well said Peter – another worthy challenge from the tougher end of the Indy’s celeb panel. Quite a lot more to think about with these guys, and well worth the extra effort.