Independent 7,061/Dac

Posted by Ali on June 3rd, 2009

Ali.

A puzzle packed full of elegant, concise clues today. On the easier side definitely, but still very enjoyable.

1 BELLA – (Alexander Graham) BELL,A
4 REMARKING – RE: MARKING
9 CONTRIVED – (VERDICT ON)*
10 FATSO – Initial letters of For Anyone That Seems Overweight – Lovely clue
11 SCANDAL – SCAN + LAD rev.
12 OSCENE – O(ld) B(oy),SCENE
13 ALFRED THE GREAT – (LARGE FATHER TED)*
16 BURNT OFFERINGS – Ref: 13 and his cakes
20 ASTORIA – Not quite sure on this one. I’m assuming the definition is ‘West End Theatre once’, but can’t get the wordplay
21 REMATCH – R.E.M,AT,CH
23 CIRCA – IR in CC,A
24 IGUANODON – GUANO,DON on I
25 ADDRESSEE – (DARES)*,SEE
26 AT SEA – Not sure on this one either. I’m guessing it’s something without VI, but can’t see it.
1 BACK-SEAT – BACKS,EAT
2 LINDA – Brilliantly hidden in cowgirL IN DAllas, Linda Gray having played Sue Ellen Ewing in the TV series
3 ABRIDGE – (BRIGADE)*
4 REVOLUTIONARIES – R,EVOLUTION,ARIES
5 MADE ONE’S FORTUNE – (SEAMEN UNDERFOOT)*
6 REFUSER – REF,USER
7 IN THE MAIN – Ref. 26A
8 GROVEL – GROVE,L
14 FLUSTERED – S (start of song) in FLUTE,RED
15 ASTHESIA – THE in ASIA
17 NARRATE – RAT in [-s]NARE
18 RUMANIA – RU as in Rugby Union
19 GARCIA – A1,CRAG rev.
22 TO-DOS – Hidden in naTO DOSsier

8 Responses to “Independent 7,061/Dac”

1. Gaufrid says:

Hi Ali
    20a STO[p] (end briefly) in ARIA (song)
    26a [v]ESTA (match losing five) reversed A (one)

2. Gaufrid says:

25a The anagram fodder is DREADS not DARES

3. Colin Blackburn says:

Isn’t 15d ASTHENIA? THE N in ASIA or am I misremembering?

4. pennes says:

15d i think it is asthenia too. just posting for the first time as started doing the crossword about 18 months ago and now finishing sort of 1 in 3.i liked fatso.
    hoped for a nice puzzle to do on train to south of france on bank holiday 25th may, so was rather disappointed to see tees. did about 10 clues but each one was like pulling teeth.

5. Ali says:

Yep, sorry for the typo in 15D, which was actually the last answer I wrote in. Cheers for the pointers on the clues I missed as well.

pennes – welcome aboard. Bank Holiday puzzles are generally always on the tricky side, but stick with it. As a general rule of thumb, Wednesdays (usually Dac) and Fridays (usually Phi) are the easiest days of the week and you can usually guarantee a harder puzzle on a Thursday, but if you refer to the blogs here after any puzzle you struggle with, you’ll only get better with time. My solving skills have improved immeasurably since I started coming here!

6. nmsindy says:

Have a look, pennes, too at the Independent on Sunday crossword by Quixote which is generally the easiest and most accessible and enjoyable too of course.

7. Wil Ransome says:

A quite excellent puzzle from Dac. But he’s always excellent, so this is nothing special. The only thing I didn’t like, and it’s a purely personal thing and is impossible to justify, is the reference to a rock performer as if we all know who he is. I have never heard of Garcia (Sergio? Gabriel G Marquez? Obviously not), although I have heard of The Grateful Dead. Perhaps I should get out more. OK I do just about know that it’s Gerry, actually, but only with Google acting as a nudge.

I suppose REM appears quite often in the Indy, so that’s more familiar.

8. Testy says:

He certainly isn’t mainstream but he has acheived a kind of cult status which means that he is at least famous enough to be commemorated with an ice-cream flavour. I’m talking about Jerry Garcia and not Dac by the way. Although maybe one day Dacadamia might become as popular as Cherry Garcia, which is apparently Ben & Jerry’s most popluar flavour, and so you could argue Jerry he ought to be as famous as Dame Nellie Melba for this reason at least.