Independent 7,062 by Punk

Posted by Simon Harris on June 4th, 2009

Simon Harris.

A puzzle from a no doubt excellent setter whose style I’ve sadly never quite managed to get to grips with, and a somewhat distracted solve from me this week, I’m afraid (purely for irksome, work-related reasons).

1 STUFFED – dd.
5 USELESS – SELES “dons” US.
10 EN CROUTE – EN ROUTE “round” C[hile].
11 ESPRIT – SPRITE*.
12 STRIP POKER – ST + (RIPPER “claiming” OK).
13 NICK – dd. In fact, is this somehow a triple def?
14 WHOA – WHO + A.
16 RUNNER BEAN – RUNNER + BEAN.
18 GREENSWARD – ([meado]W + GARDENERS)*.
19 STYX – STY + X.
20 JEST – JET “burying” S[tiff].
22 BOBBYSOXER – BOXER “holds” (B + BY + SO).
25 QUAKER – QUA[c]KER.
26 CUMBRIAN – C + UMBRIAN.
27 ANTONYM – ANTONY + M.
28 KNOCKER – dd.
2 TENET – TEN + ET.
3 FORNICATE – (EROTIC FAN)*.
4 EQUIP – E + QUIP.
6 SPEARHEAD – (SHE “packages” PEAR) “on” AD.
7 LUPIN – ([garde]N I PUL[led])<.
8 STIR-CRAZY – STIR + CRAZY.
9 PERKIN WARBECK – PERK + IN + WAR + BECK. Apparently a pretender to the throne many moons ago. I’ve never heard of him, nor of “beck” meaning “gesture”, so this one was entirely unsolvable for me.
15 HARLEQUIN – HARLE[m] + QUIN.
16 RASPBERRY – cd.
17 BISHOPRIC – BIC “touring” (SHOP “in” IR).
21 TOKYO – KYOTO*.
23 YEMEN – YEN “keeps” ME.
24 EVADE – (E + DAVE)<.

8 Responses to “Independent 7,062 by Punk”

1. Colin Blackburn says:

13a is a simple triple def. The definition ‘can’ = prison is needed for 8d.
    I penned in ALI instead of SELES at 5a, useless!
    I enjoyed 3d.
    The grid is pangrammatic, and with several Qs, Xs and Zs I thought it was going to be doubly so, but not quite.

2. Ali says:

Well, I’d happily solve Punk/Paul puzzles ’til the cows come home, so enjoyed this one a lot. Perkin Warbeck, Lambert Simnel and co. were the subject of the first Listener puzzle I ever completed a few years back, so that answer went straight in and helped open up the grid a lot. I was beaten by 24D though, convinced it was ‘a duck’ rather than ‘to duck’. Enjoyed 5A too.

3. nmsindy says:

Yes, I enjoyed this too – there was some absolutely tip-top clueing and, like Virgilius the other day, showed they do not have to be hard to be very good. Liked in particular KNOCKER, TENET, JEST, QUAKER, SPEARHEAD, BOBBYSOXER.

4. Richard says:

Another excellent puzzle. The realisation about halfway through that it was likely to be pangrammatic helped quite a bit.

5. C. G. Rishikesh says:

Simon,

I didn’t do this puzzle and I am writing this comment merely upon reading your blog (is this OK?). I too haven’t come across ‘beck’ meaning ‘gesture’. As you know, it occurs in the phrase “at one’s beck and call”, where ‘beck’, I guess, is a short form of ‘beckon’.

6. nmsindy says:

A bit surprised by this, as I thought ‘beck’ was v familiar as a gesture and I used it when solving. Just checked in Collins and the main defn of BECK is ‘a nod, wave, or other gesture or signal’

7. Mick H says:

I think ‘beck’ has largely been replaced by ‘beckon’ in normal usage. Maybe that’s to distinguish it from ‘beckoff’, which is a gesture by which the England manager indicates a midfield substitution.

8. Richard Heald says:

Loved ‘all fingers and thumbs’ for TEN!